Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Jocelyne
Frequent Visitor

I have a table by date. I have a what if scenario. How can I return the value to the column? Tks.

Hi,

I have a table for A/P and a table for A/R by date in Power BI. The user needs to be able to select a specific date and I show him the cumulative values for A/P and A/R at that specific date. This part is done. Now the user needs to test different values, what will be the cash needed if he receives payments late or if he pays late. So I added 2 what-if parameters, between 1 and 30 days. Now all I need is to add the what if value to a calculated column ‘due date’ + added value.

I read that I cannot add a what-if parameter to a calculated column. And a measure does not work for this type of scenario, to calculate what is due at that specific date.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to proceed? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jocelyne ,

>>I read that I cannot add a what-if parameter to a calculated column. And a measure does not work for this type of scenario, to calculate what is due at that specific date.

Yes , what-if parameter supports to be used in measure instead of column. Could you please clarify more about the logic to get desired result, and share your sample data and desired output screenshots for further analysis. You can also upload sample pbix to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Please read this post to get your answer quickly: How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly.

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This is a cash flow indicator at a future date. In a full company database, it takes the cash account in the GL, accounts payable table, accounts receivable table, customer orders and purchase orders. For AP and AR, we use the amount outstanding at a certain due date. For CO and PO, it is the amount due at due date + 30 days. The formula is TotalCash = Cash + AR + CO – AP – PO. Furthermore, since these tables list transactions by transactions, there is a column that is a running total. This is for each day.

On the board, there is a slicer where the start date is today and the user can specify whatever future date he wants. The slicer is configured ‘after’. I have a card showing him what the total cash will be on that day. Now the user wants to do ‘what if ‘ scenarios. What if my customers (AR) pay me late by 30 days, how will that affect my cash flow? What is I pay my suppliers late by 15 days, how will that affect my cash flow? So for AR & AP, I need to change the due days for the AR transaction’s due date + what ever number the user selects.

I have tried using a what if parameter for AR and one for AP. On the board, when I show the measure, it shows the selected value. Let’s say 10. But in the table, if I try to add it to my column formula, it always shows 0. I tried to add a measure. However, the measure either shows 0, or I need to aggregate, and I do not want a sum or average. I’ve noticed that what it does is not pass the value but the 1 to 30 table (number of days in the parameter). So the sum is always 365 and the average is 15, no matter what the user selects as a value. Even when using the value measure.

Maybe the what if parameter is not the way to go. I need suggestions.

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.