Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PabloJMorenoAE

I cannot browse folders at 'Options and Settings' to search for R or Python installation

Hello

I recently installed Python and several packages into a new conda virtual environment and when I go to 'Options and Settings' at Power BI, the browser doesn't allow me to search for anything outside 'Desktop'. I have done this before many times and never had any problems and it is within the same system, where I'm the sole admin. 

It happens the same wiht R

Can somebody support on this?

power bi error.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PabloJMorenoAE ,

You can launch your external Python IDE from Power BI Desktop and have your data automatically imported and displayed in the Python IDE. From there, you can modify the script in that external Python IDE, then paste it back into Power BI Desktop to create Power BI visuals and reports.

You can specify which Python IDE you would like to use, and have it launch automatically from within Power BI Desktop

You can also install a different Python IDE and have Power BI Desktop launch that Python IDE by doing one of the following:

• You can associate .PY files with the external IDE you want Power BI Desktop to launch.

• You can specify the .exe that Power BI Desktop should launch by selecting Other from the Python Script Options section of the Options dialog. You can bring up the Options dialog by going to File > Options and settings > Options.

More details:Use an external Python IDE with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Please check the steps:

Using Python in Power BI. Step by step guide on how to enable… | by Tommi Ranta | Towards Data Scien...

If it still does not help, please provide more details.

What is the version of the Power BI Desktop. How about use python on other computers?

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PabloJMorenoAE ,

You can launch your external Python IDE from Power BI Desktop and have your data automatically imported and displayed in the Python IDE. From there, you can modify the script in that external Python IDE, then paste it back into Power BI Desktop to create Power BI visuals and reports.

You can specify which Python IDE you would like to use, and have it launch automatically from within Power BI Desktop

You can also install a different Python IDE and have Power BI Desktop launch that Python IDE by doing one of the following:

• You can associate .PY files with the external IDE you want Power BI Desktop to launch.

• You can specify the .exe that Power BI Desktop should launch by selecting Other from the Python Script Options section of the Options dialog. You can bring up the Options dialog by going to File > Options and settings > Options.

More details:Use an external Python IDE with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Please check the steps:

Using Python in Power BI. Step by step guide on how to enable… | by Tommi Ranta | Towards Data Scien...

If it still does not help, please provide more details.

What is the version of the Power BI Desktop. How about use python on other computers?

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.