Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lennox25
Helper V
Helper V

How to work out averages based on many categories

Can someone help me? I need to create a visual that displays the average per category? How do I do this? Can it be done with one measure/column? Currently I have created a number of columns per issue and then created an average measure per issue.

There are filters on visual on store number and date.

I have uploaded a sample power bi file which will hopefully explain what Im after.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fFS2O-SYE1IBKjfJHlgc8CPTEHNi86-i/view?usp=sharing 

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lennox25 

Sorry I don't 100% understand the problem. You want to calculate the average of what? Does the "category" refer to "Issue" in your data? To calculate an average, usually using a measure will be better. Can you show the expected average result based on the current sample data? We need to know what is the average and the Math logic you want to calculate it. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Hi @v-jingzhang - please see sample file. What im trying to do is get away from creating a column for each issue and then a measure to work out the average of each issue.

Issue Column example -  Issue Column Blockage = If('issues'[Issue] = "Blockage", 1, 0)

Average Measure example - Average Action No Signs = SUM('issues'[Issue Column No signs])/distinctcount('issues'[Store No])

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sDbn0La6O8CLFX7xmYCY17cUdHD2mkFm/view?usp=sharing 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.