Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to use Calculate and Countrows in Direct Query Mode? It keeps saying not a function

Hi there,

I am trying to convert a dashboard from import to direct query mode and realized a calculated column created is not translating easily due to limitation of DAX functions with Direct Query mode. Specifically, I keep getting the error that "Calculate it not a function", "Countrows is not a function", and "Datesbetween" is not a function.

Anyone know another function that will work the same in direct query? This was the original dax to calculate hours which takes into account work day hours.... 

The reason I need this as a calculated column is I need it as a value for a line chart where I am visualizing putaway hours by date. 

PTWY Hrs = 
var shiftstart = 6 //shift start at 6am
var shiftend = 17 //shift end at 5pm
var wrkdyhours = shiftend-shiftstart //11 workday hours
var wrkdyafterhours = 24-(shiftend-shiftstart) //13 after shift hours on 11 hour workday
return
if('INBD Items'[Putaway Date].[Date]='INBD Items'[GR Date].[Date],//if putaway done on same day as gr
DATEDIFF('INBD Items'[GR Date],'INBD Items'[Putaway Date],MINUTE)/60,//then calculate the minutes
(DATEDIFF('INBD Items'[GR Date],'INBD Items'[Putaway Date],MINUTE)-(//else calculate minutes and subtract non working hours
    CALCULATE(countrows('Date'),DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date],'INBD Items'[GR Date],'INBD Items'[Putaway Date]),'Date'[IsWorkingDay]=FALSE())*24*60+ //calculate non working day convert to minutes to subtract
    (CALCULATE(countrows('Date'),DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date],'INBD Items'[GR Date],'INBD Items'[Putaway Date]),'Date'[IsWorkingDay]=TRUE())-1)*wrkdyafterhours*60 //calculate  after hour minutes to subtract
))/60//convert to hours
)​

3 REPLIES 3
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It is possible to add calculated columns or do some actions in query editor when there's a direct query connection. But there're some limitations for it. Below is the articles about these limitations for your reference.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

http://radacad.com/directquery-live-connection-or-import-data-tough-decision

Best Regards,

Lucien

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous What about converting it to a measure? Then you won't have those restrictions.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.