Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to sort likert scale legend for multiple columns?

Hi, I have a survey of about 15 questions, all with an likert scale from Strongly Agree > Strongly Disagree. I'm trying to sort the legend and columns on a 100% stacked bar chart to mirror this order. I can do it for one column by creating a sort table and then doing a related column like so: Q1 = RELATED('Sort'[Sort Table]) but this only works for one column. Do I really need to create multiple sort tables and related columns to achieve this, or is there an easier way to sort all 15 questions from Strongly Agree > Strongly disagree? Below is essentially a very abbreviated version of my source data:

ResponseQ1Q2Q3Q4Q5Q6
1DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeAgreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeStrongly AgreeNeither Agree nor Disagree
2Strongly AgreeDisagreeStrongly AgreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeStrongly DisagreeNeither Agree nor Disagree
3Strongly DisagreeStrongly DisagreeAgreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor Disagree
4AgreeStrongly DisagreeStrongly AgreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor Disagree
5Neither Agree nor DisagreeStrongly DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor Disagree
6AgreeStrongly DisagreeAgreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeDisagreeNeither Agree nor Disagree
7DisagreeDisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeAgreeNeither Agree nor Disagree
8Neither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeStrongly AgreeDisagree
9Strongly AgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeAgree
10AgreeDisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeNeither Agree nor DisagreeAgree

And I'm trying to make this: 

neutralitycats_0-1688657752497.png

Look like this: 

neutralitycats_1-1688657793488.png

For all 15 questions without creating multiple sort tables. Is there any way of doing that?

Thank you for any and all help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ray_aramburo
Super User
Super User

Since you have a column for each question and each question requires a different order, indeed you need to have a custom sort column per question. I'd recommend you to create them in Power Query, it's faster and easier. 

Did I answer your question? Give your kudos and mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ray_aramburo
Super User
Super User

Since you have a column for each question and each question requires a different order, indeed you need to have a custom sort column per question. I'd recommend you to create them in Power Query, it's faster and easier. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @ray_aramburo - that's what I ended up doing. As long as I don't clog up the data pane with too many tables, that works for me : ) 

It's a bit annoying but having a specific set of customization often requires those workarounds in the tool 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.