Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to show 2 tables in 1 chart?

How to show 2 tables value in 1 chart? i've got expenditures from 2 banks, would like to show the expenditure in 1 chart.  I've created a master category sheet and linked those 2 tables together. 

I've added both "transaction Date" into the Axis and both "amount" into the Value, but it's working with the 1st table but not 2 together. 

Ideallly i want the chart to get me 2 colors bar Green at the bottom and black at the top with 1 bar shows the total amount from both bank.

Power bi test.PNGPower bi 2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilesWalker
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@Anonymous - It appears as though you do not have a seperate date table, this will assist in allowing the two banking tables to show the data with a single date.

Check out a previous post I did on date tables - http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Noob-Date-question/m-p/38881#M14456

Once this table is created you can then connect the transaction dates in the banking columns to the date column in your new date table. The date column is then used on your X-axis.

In then depends how the data is held in your banking tables as to how you can display it. However if you put in a cluster bar graph with the date column on the x-axis and the expenditure and amount in the values you should be able to see them side by side.

Any questions please let me know.

Giles

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilesWalker
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@Anonymous - It appears as though you do not have a seperate date table, this will assist in allowing the two banking tables to show the data with a single date.

Check out a previous post I did on date tables - http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Noob-Date-question/m-p/38881#M14456

Once this table is created you can then connect the transaction dates in the banking columns to the date column in your new date table. The date column is then used on your X-axis.

In then depends how the data is held in your banking tables as to how you can display it. However if you put in a cluster bar graph with the date column on the x-axis and the expenditure and amount in the values you should be able to see them side by side.

Any questions please let me know.

Giles

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Giles,

I am working on the same requirement, i did the same, what you have suggested in the post, but in the axis i am getting the blank date. Can you please help me on this.Thanks

Error.PNG

@Anonymous - are you able to show a picture of the relationships so I can see your table structures?

Giles

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Giles,

Below is the relationship image, i have taken the date range of DateKey table as (2012,01,01) to (2018,12,31) that is future end date, but i have dates in my date columns upto current date only is that the problem? and i have blank values in my date column. is that the issue? Thanks

Relations.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilesWalkeri do have a date table, when i bring "date" under the date table into the Axis. it works!!  i think i just used the wrong date in the chart.  thanks!!

Power bi test.PNG

@Anonymous excellent. Please mark this off as complete.

Giles

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.