Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

How to prevent desktop publish to overwrite what is published so far?

Hello all,

I'm enjoying powerbi and started creatig some dashboard using Desktop and then publishing it to server.

I made some changes on the reports on server side (like drill down which is not availble on desktop) and worked great. 

Question here is after published the report, I made some changes to my data model and published it again, and it overwrote all my changes on server side.

Is there way that I can choose which report (page) to publish?

Is there way that I can choose to publish only revised data model instead of the whole report so that it doesn't overwrite any changes done on the server side?

PS : still learning and help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Parv

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply.

Sure "save as" is an option but there are chances that someone creates new reports on server side and publishing the report from desktop can overwrite and possibiliy is that you loose all of your work.

As a long term I think partial publishing (or option to select what to publish) is the way to go.

Thanks,

P

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@parry2k I like the ideas for partial publish, but there is no currently functionality that supports that, add that to the requests! https://support.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi 

The Datasets are name based, which is why you get the "replace" warning when you are going to publish again to an existing DataSet name, the reports are tied to that and will override site only changes. I would assume the drill down functionality is going to be in the next release for the desktop, but until then, situations like this are unavoidable and you'll have to re-create the visual on the site.

The "Save As" that smoupre recommended would allow you to publish the revised data set/report, but it would be a new DataSet on the site, not not an update to the existing. So you'd have to re-create the visual either way.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the reply.

Sure "save as" is an option but there are chances that someone creates new reports on server side and publishing the report from desktop can overwrite and possibiliy is that you loose all of your work.

As a long term I think partial publishing (or option to select what to publish) is the way to go.

Thanks,

P

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You should be able to click on your report and then choose "File | Save As" to save a copy. Then, when you upload a new file, it should not overwrite the copy of the report.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.