Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to find Rank on 2 Columns with duplicate values

Hi,

I need to find a Rank on combination of 2 columns DocumentID, InoviceNumber.

See the the sample data,

Rank Data.PNG

Expected Result as below,

Expeted Result-Rank.PNG

Please help me in achieveing the desired output(Rank).

A quick help would be much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can add a filter on process filed(before group steps), then custom index column will be change based on filtered records.
If you mean these records need to be changes based on visual level filter/slicer, it is impossible. Current power bi not able to use them to interact with query tables records. (visual level data are generated from data model tables, data model table records are generated from query tables, you can't use child-level records to effect its parent)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This M code works

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcjQ0MlbSUYqINFSK1SHEdYJwI6OMsHGdoYqjjAlxYwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Document ID" = _t, InvoiceNumber = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Document ID", type text}, {"InvoiceNumber", type text}}),
    Partition = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Document ID"}, {{"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Index",1,1), type table}}),
    #"Expanded Partition" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Partition, "Partition", {"InvoiceNumber", "Index"}, {"InvoiceNumber", "Index"})
in
    #"Expanded Partition"

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft  && @Ashish_Mathur 

Thank you for the reply. Both the solutions are worked. But I have forgotten to include further condition,

As I have 80 columns including Document ID,InvoiceNumber and need to calculate Rank on Document ID, InvoiceNumber there is an filter condition while calculating the rank.

Basically I am converting content from Spotfire to Power BI, Let me put you the Spotfire Calculation for Rank that they were using

Spotfire calc:

Rank = case when [process] in ("open","In Progress") then Rank(Rowid(),[Document ID],[InvoiceNumber])end

In the process of converting the same into power bi the process that you have shared is working some extent. can you help me in achieveing the Rank including Process filter.

See the below sample data and desired output,

Expeted Result-Rank1.PNG

Hi,

What do you mean by Filter out?  Should that row be removed or should null appear in that cell?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Ashish_Mathur 

Filter out means we should exclude that record if process is closed and Rank should get calculated for remaining records.

Rank should get calculated on Document ID,InvoiceNumber and process not in Closed.

See the below example,

Expeted Result-Rank2.PNG

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can add a filter on process filed(before group steps), then custom index column will be change based on filtered records.
If you mean these records need to be changes based on visual level filter/slicer, it is impossible. Current power bi not able to use them to interact with query tables records. (visual level data are generated from data model tables, data model table records are generated from query tables, you can't use child-level records to effect its parent)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

I'd like to suggest you enter to query editor to add an index column to achieve your requirement.

Steps:

1. Group table records by Document id, aggerate mode to 'all rows'.

23.png

2. Modify group steps to add index into grouped tables.

24.png

3. Click expand icon to expand table column, then modify the formula to add display index column.

25.png

Full query sample data:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUXI0VIrVwcV0AjKdMJjOQKYzTmYsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Invoice = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", type text}, {"Invoice", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"ID"}, {{"Contents", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_,"Index",1,1), type table [ID=text, Invoice=text]}}),
    #"Expanded Contents" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Contents", {"Invoice","Index"}, {"Invoice","Index"})
in
    #"Expanded Contents"

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

try calculated column

Column = RANKX(FILTER('Table1';'Table1'[Document ID]=EARLIER(Table1[Document ID]));'Table1'[InvoiceNumber];;ASC;Skip)

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @az38 ,

The below calculation gives me Rank 1 for all records. I would need to populate the Rank with combination of Document ID & Invoicenumber.

See the result below using the calculation,

RR Calc Result.PNGExpected result should be,

Expeted Result-Rank.PNG

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

is it good that all InvoiceNumber are completely the same inside each Document ID?

LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @az38 ,

We have data like that. If the both Documentid,Invoicenumber has duplicates it should give ranking as no of duplicates in asc order.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.