Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

musmanrafiq
Frequent Visitor

How to create relationship between one common table with two different tables

Hello, 

I have 3 tables

1. Users (UserID, SignUpDate)
2. Tests (TestID,TestDate,UserID)
3. Calender (Date)

I want to use the Calender table date to filter my whole report which is created on the first two tables.

The problem I am facing is that If I create a relationship between Tests and Calender, I cannot create a relationship between Users and Calender table.

How I can I use one common Calender table to filter both table using Slicer?

Expected Output: User Date Range Slicer to filter the first two tables' data

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @musmanrafiq ,

Whether your problem has been resolved? If yes, could you please mark the helpful post as Answered? It will help the others in the community find the solution easily if they face the same problem as yours. Thank you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@musmanrafiq I guess you also have a relationship between users and tests and I guess it's 1 to many.
You have 2 options:
1. Merge the users and tests table before uploading to the model and create two relationships between the date table and two date columns (one active and one inactive and activate the other when needed through USERELATIONSHIP()
2. Make one of the relationships inactive and activate it when needed through USERELATIONSHIP().

I would go with option 1

Check out this article and video:
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/using-userelationship-in-dax/

2022-05-09 22_36_04-Power BI Workspace Datasets License Permissions - Microsoft Power BI Community.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png  SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Full-Logo11.png

Thank you @SpartaBI for the reply. 

musmanrafiq_0-1652602178670.png

These two measures are created based on the first two tables.

1st Measure belongs to Users tables

2nd Measure belongs to TestsTable

If I make one relationship inactive, will it update both values simultaneously based on slicer selection?  

@musmanrafiq you will need to use USERELATIONSHIP() inside of calculate to make it active for the duration of the measure execution. Check out the article and update me if you succeeded. 

I will give it a try and will let you know.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.