Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RandallP
Frequent Visitor

How to create a filled map with census tracts

How should I format census tract data in order for it to be used in a filled map? I have a table with 375 census tracts in my county in this format in a column "Census Tract 1105, Bexar County, Texas" and I don't see options to categorize it as a tract and the map filling in the entire county. 

4 REPLIES 4
RandallP
Frequent Visitor

It is not reading the census tracts (these are not postal codes). Only the entire county is shaded one color when I was expecting 375. 

RandallP_0-1667403496700.png

I was able to use a SHAPE map instead of the FILLED map by adding a custom map type but now I am missing the road and other map references 

RandallP_1-1667403625832.png

Hello @RandallP ,
I am having exact same issue. Please let me know if you find a solution for this issue. 
As an alternative, I am using mapbox which gives me everything I want i.e. showing Census tracts with base map.

Hello, I am curious how you got this Shape map filled with different colors. I know we can download the shapefile, convert it to Topojson file and add it into the "Custom map" as the base map. However, i have trouble to use my dataset to fill in the shape. my dataset is 11 digits census tract, such as 21015070102. thanks!

vaibhavkale570
Resolver III
Resolver III

you need 3 column

1 post code

2 County

3 state

merge these column and put it in Map visual

Postcode, Suburb, Country = Regions[Postcode]&","&Regions[Suburb]&",Texas"

you'll see result like this
1105,Bexar Country, Texas

if you don't see the result properly in map 
try below

Postcode, Suburb, Country = Regions[Postcode]&","&Regions[Suburb]&",Texas,USA"

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.