Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

arock-well
Helper V
Helper V

How to Group Dates by Month and Year

I have a dataset where the Time Intelligence option has been turned off.

Within the dataset there are two date fields. One date field contains a specific date. There is a corresponding date field that only shows the month and year that specific date falls into.

When I drop the month/year field into a stacked area chart it doesn't group by month/year but is still breaking it down by the specific date.

Specific date:

arockwell_1-1671034920243.png

Month/Year repeating and not grouping:

arockwell_0-1671034797220.png

Questions:

Is there anyway to group by month/year with the current way the dataset is set up?

Or, do I need to turn Time Intelligence back on?

Or, do I need to create another dataset that groups the data by month/year?

4 REPLIES 4
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arock-well ,

You just need do some settings for it, please refer below screenshot:

set the X-axis Type to "Continous":

vbinbinyumsft_1-1671071093843.png

below is "Categorical" type:

vbinbinyumsft_2-1671071229642.png

Please refer the attached .pbix file.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-binbinyu-msft  Thanks! That seems to work for what I'm looking for when it comes to a Stacked Area Chart.

However, I'm having a similar issue with a Cluster Column Chart in this same report, but in reverse. When set to Continuous it breaks it down by specific date like my original issue:

arockwell_2-1671123970425.png

However, when I change it to Categorical it does change the label to Month Year, but the columns are still showing as if they're individual weeks. I was expecting it to only have two columns not four, one for Nov 22 and the other for Dec 22.

arockwell_1-1671123530698.png

Any idea how to group those into two columns?

To hopefully make this more clear, when I place a Tablix visual using your example, it returns like this. Note it's showing each individual date even though it is set to show Month Year:

arockwell_0-1671125262949.png

As I mentioned before, my dataset has Time Intelligence turned off, but yours is not. So if I put down another Tablix and use the Date Hiercarchy of Month and Year, then it groups correctly:

arockwell_1-1671125412731.png

So I think I may be back to my original questions:

- Is there anyway to group visuals by month/year with the current way the dataset is set up (that is, Time Intelligence is turned off)?

- Or, do I need to turn Time Intelligence back on?

- Or, can I create another dataset that groups the data by month/year (with Time Intelligence off)?

arock-well
Helper V
Helper V

Are there any other options besides turning on Time Intelligence and/or using another dataset where I group by month/year instead of the specific dates?

Any help or push in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.