Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Yamabushi
Helper I
Helper I

How does row-level security without relationships work?

Hi,

I've been reading a lot of blog posts that recommend avoiding setting up RLS with bi-directional relationships in the model. Instead, they recommend using DAX to set up the correct filters. The DAX RLS settings in these data models work even without having any relationships between some of the tables set up. How does this work?

For example, I have a test model with 3 tables.

Yamabushi_0-1652476596959.png

RLS is set up this way:

Yamabushi_1-1652476671764.png

And it works correctly. How can the "Users" table filter the "Categories" table, even though there is no relationship between them? I'm not satisfied with just having it work, I want to know what's behind it 🙂

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Yamabushi
Helper I
Helper I

I understand the basics of RLS. I want to know technically how does the filtering work without having relationships between tables in the model.

Hi @Yamabushi ,

It about the context of this expression, (in another word, each row in the category will have a expend table depend on the filtering.) It contains the whole User table if there no relationship with the current table where the expression is.

Hope this helpful.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Yamabushi ,

Ok, each row in "Categories" will be identified if match the expression result you defined.

For example. the result of your expression is "a", then each rows in the table and [categories] is "a" will be load to the table. The "a" comes from all the rows of "User" where User[user] = username() then gets the max one of them.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.