Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Help with automating Power BI monthly report generation

Hi All,

I receive monthly data via email which I intend to append to a Power BI report. I'm using Power Automate to transfer this data to a specific folder, from which my Power BI report reads. After publishing the report to a designated workspace, after every month, how can I automate the data refresh and republishing process in the workspace using Power Automate?. Here is what I'm hoping can happen:

1. Email comes in.

2. Data is copied to a designated folder.

3. The Power BI report refreshes the dataset.

4. The report gets republished onto the workspace.

5. Cycle repeats itself next month.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI. Thanks for replying. I managed to ge the Power Automate flow to work. Here are the connections I used:

1. When a new email arrives (V3).

2. Apply to each: which as a create file sub action.

3. Refresh a dataset: This will refresh the Power BI dataset.

You mentioned that I should choose a connector to "Republish the Report". Unfortunately there isn't such a connector. One can only refresh the dataset in the workspace. But that's fine, as all that's left would be to manually refresh the visuals.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
marcelsmaglhaes
Super User
Super User

Hey @HamidBee ,

To automate the data refresh and republishing process in Power BI using Power Automate, you can follow these steps:

1. **Refresh Power BI Dataset:** Create an action in Power Automate to trigger the refresh of your Power BI dataset. You can use the "Power BI" connector to achieve this. Select the appropriate workspace, dataset, and data source, and initiate the dataset refresh.

2. **Republish the Report:** Following the dataset refresh, use the "Power BI" connector to republish the report in the designated workspace. Specify the report name, workspace, and other relevant details.

3. **Schedule the Flow:** Finally, set up a schedule for this Power Automate flow to run at your desired frequency (monthly, in this case). You can configure it to run automatically on a specific date each month.

This flow will ensure that your Power BI report is automatically updated with the new data from your email attachment and republished in the workspace every month, as per your requirements.

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães
Microsoft Power BI Official Partner
MCT | Certified PL-300 Power BI

If I've helped, don't forget to mark my post as a solution!
Imagem de fundo

HI. Thanks for replying. I managed to ge the Power Automate flow to work. Here are the connections I used:

1. When a new email arrives (V3).

2. Apply to each: which as a create file sub action.

3. Refresh a dataset: This will refresh the Power BI dataset.

You mentioned that I should choose a connector to "Republish the Report". Unfortunately there isn't such a connector. One can only refresh the dataset in the workspace. But that's fine, as all that's left would be to manually refresh the visuals.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.