Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

qnt3

Help Needed ASAP Please - Data files are contained within subfolders

Hello.

I am doing analysis, simple counting, on dataset files (.xls, doc, pdf,zip, txt) that are contained within a specific network share drive. Several folders, and within those folders, which could be 3-4 levels deep, is the actual dataset file. Does power bi actually keep going within each subfolder, to bring in every dataset or does it stop at just the root folder ?

Looks like my current setup of Power BI desktop is only brining in about 300 files. I am expecting thousands. I use MS Azure and point Power BI to "get data" as to the where the  share drive is located.

If not - how can I get around this? The folders are arranged in an order (by state, year, etc) and I am not the ownwer, so I don't want to start re-arraganging datasets .

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @qnt3 

What is your data source and which connector are you using to access the root folder?

If you are able to connect to the root folder, do you see something like Path column there? You can filter this column to get files you want under this path. If there are some subfolder items under the current root path, see if any of them can be clicked to drill down. If they can drill down, drill down to access the deepest level you want and count files there. 

Maybe you can create a custom function to repeat this for each sub folder. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Folder.Files - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Docs

Returns a table containing a row for each file found in the folder path and all its subfolders. Each row contains properties of the file (including its folder path) and a link to its content.

Is that not what you see?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.