Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PorterHaus
Frequent Visitor

Grouping in Rankx

I have some data about reports and when they are run as well as some other details. I'm trying to create a new rank column based on how many times a report is run in the given context so that eventually I can filter by top 10 or bottom 10 reports based on rank.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly but I figured I would need to group the records for each report since it is fine grained data and a report can be run multiple times each day.

Rank = RANKX('ReportStatistics', GROUPBY('ReportStatistics','ReportStatistics'[RunDate],"Count",COUNTA(ReportStatistics[ReportName])), , DESC)

Currently the above give the error:

Function 'GROUPBY' scalar expressions have to be Aggregation functions over CurrentGroup(). The expression of each Aggregation has to be either a constant or directly reference the columns in CurrentGroup().

5 REPLIES 5
jmalone
Resolver III
Resolver III

You are trying to rank the report names by the number of times run, within a given day? Is that correct?

You could do something like:

Rank =
CALCULATE (
    RANKX (
        ALL ( 'ReportStatistics'[ReportName] ),
        CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( 'ReportStatistics' ) )
    ),
    VALUES ( 'ReportStatistics'[RunDate] )
)

The "grouping" comes from

VALUES ( 'ReportStatistics'[RunDate] )

So essentially, you are using a RANKX function inside a CALCULATE, with VALUES() being used to create a context for ranking. 

How would I make it work for a date range? Currently the rank acts the same as a normal count:

count.PNG

Did you try viewing by [RunDate]? If you use [RunDate] in the table Rows (before [ReportName]), what does the ReportName ranking look like?

Another method - if you were to filter this table for a single date (via [RunDate]), what does the ranking look like?

Maybe I am unclear on how exactly you are hoping to "group" the report ranking.

My apologies if I was unclear before. If I select a date range, let's say last 30 days, I would expect to see the report names, # of times run, and then rank where rank 1 is the report run the most and vice versa.

So in the table screenshot before, the report run 112 times would have rank 1 and all of those reports are limited to the past 30 days.

I see. In that case, you shouldn't need any special grouping, and maybe that's where the confusion is coming from.

You should be able to use the following measure:

Ranking =
RANKX (
ALL ( 'ReportStatistics'[ReportName] ),
CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( 'ReportStatistics' ) )
)

To filter by date, use the [RunDate] field in a slicer. The slicer will allow you to select a date range, and the measure should adjust to rank according to that selection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.