Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

psilos24
Helper I
Helper I

Group values using a measure ?

Hello guys, I would like to ask if it is possible to group values using a measure. I know it is easy through a new column or right-click to the graph and choose the group values. The reason I'm asking is that I haven't access to transform the data and the only option is through the new measure. Any suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@psilos24 
Lets say if you have a column has value from 1-200, you want to group into 4 groups. You can create 4 measures and put them in the Values section.

Group 1 = Caluclate(sum([Column]),filter(Table, [column]<=50)
Group 2 = Caluclate(sum([Column]),filter(Table, [column]>50&&[column]<=100)
Group 3 = Caluclate(sum([Column]),filter(Table, [column]>100&&[column]<=150)
Group 4 = Caluclate(sum([Column]),filter(Table, [column]>150&&[column]<=200)

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@psilos24 

It is not possible to add a measure as chart legend, as measure actually returns a single value.

As an alternative, I would suggest you create two separately measures for each group(group 1=> less than 10, group 2 = between 10-20,etc). Then add these two measures into Values section of the chart.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-pazhen-msft  Thanks for the reply. Can you give me an example of how to create a measure for a group?

@psilos24 
Lets say if you have a column has value from 1-200, you want to group into 4 groups. You can create 4 measures and put them in the Values section.

Group 1 = Caluclate(sum([Column]),filter(Table, [column]<=50)
Group 2 = Caluclate(sum([Column]),filter(Table, [column]>50&&[column]<=100)
Group 3 = Caluclate(sum([Column]),filter(Table, [column]>100&&[column]<=150)
Group 4 = Caluclate(sum([Column]),filter(Table, [column]>150&&[column]<=200)

DataZoe
Employee
Employee

@psilos24 You could write a measure to do that, but then it would have limited usability, as in you can't put a measure in many places, such as a legend for example. But it would work for a table just fine.

Grouping Measure = if(sumx(Table,Table[Value])>1000,"High","Low")

If you are really just using a small part of the overall dataset to create a specific report or chart, you could write a query on the data model and then import that in to a new report. Then you can create whatever you want, groups, calculated columns, you name it. I'd suggest connecting to the data model in DAX Studio and writing the query there, typically in the form of EVALUATE(SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(....)).

Respectfully,
Zoe Douglas (DataZoe)

Follow me on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/zoedouglas-data
See my reports and blog at https://www.datazoepowerbi.com/

@DataZoe Thanks for the reply. Yes, I want to use the measure as a legend if it is possible, and in that way, it can show the bins-groups. Unfortunately, I can't write a query to connect my data model to DAX studio. Any other ideas? 

@amitchandak Thanks for the reply. Please find below a picture from my graph as an example. I want to make bins or groups for the x-axis. I can only use a measure. Any ideas? 

image001.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.