Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lphong
Regular Visitor

Graphs only display even or odd months text

Hello everyone,

I ran into this annoying issue but not sure how to fix it. I have a datekey table and created a column call BOM (beginning of month) with just simple function StartofMonth. The problem is when displaying the month on the graph, it only displays the text of one month and skip the other. 

For example: it only shows Mar 2017 and May 2017 but hid the April 2017. All the recommendations are highly appreciated. 

Graph.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lphong
Regular Visitor

So I created column in my Datekey table FORMAT(DateKey[Date],"MMM")&" " &DateKey[Year] to show only Month and Year.

Then I set it to Categorial in the graph it works perfectly. Thanks for all the help. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lphong
Regular Visitor

So I created column in my Datekey table FORMAT(DateKey[Date],"MMM")&" " &DateKey[Year] to show only Month and Year.

Then I set it to Categorial in the graph it works perfectly. Thanks for all the help. 

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lphong,

Have you resolved your issue? Please mark the helpful reply as answer, or share your solution.

Thanks,
Angelia

Thanks @v-huizhn-msft

The only problem with your proposal is that if you format the column to Text, when you sort the month name, it will sort alphabetical. 

So I created a DateKey table with Date since 2011. Then I created a month/year column, Calendar(format[Date], "MMMM yyyy"). This will make sure my Month/year column can be sorted by timeline instead of alphabet letter. However, that's where it skipped the label of the months in between. 

I thought this was scaling issue but it still doesn't work when I tried to scale the visual bigger. 

Still looking for solution now. Should I file a bug for this?

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lphong,

As I tested, it will display all the value if the month data type is text. Please see the screenshot.

1.PNG
It's weird, please click the format buttom->X-axis, and check your Scale type. 

2.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

prateekraina
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I think the issue exists in your dataset or relationships, If possible can you share images of how your data and relationships look like?

Thanks !!

I've tried as you suggested and only use the date on the same table (no releastionship involves). 

I went to Edit Query and transform the date colum to Start of Month but it still skips the lable of the months in between. 

Apparently I could convert the month name it to Text format but then it's only sortable aphabetically. Thanks for the help @prateekraina 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.