Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ffitzpatrick47
Helper II
Helper II

Grand Total for relu functions

I've found dax is not super great at aggregate functions because you basically have to rebuild it for grand total purposes (and referencing them).  Here's an example on grand totals I can't get right.

image.png

I don't know why there's a pencil in the way.  Maybe there won't be after I'm done with this post. Just in case, that last column is relu, and it's basically max([in]+[cr],0), except there are no obvious max functions in dax so I used if statements rather than look up an esoteric one.  The grand total should be 09, but dax just evaluates the grand total as if a and b aren't filtered, rather than adding the results of a and b evaluated seperately.  How do I fix this?  I have a sample spreadsheet,  where would I upload it?  Oh, I know.  Google!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KM7uJBz2i8HKlH8UCRSMBUcoQ0KJ5tnM/view?usp=sharing

4 REPLIES 4
Ffitzpatrick47
Helper II
Helper II

Yes, do what you need to do, just deliver an answer where the grand total is 9

I see what you're doing with the count rows to detect whether the displayed row is a grand total or not (which in any other language is a hack), but even then you can't deliver the number 9 becauise sum([amt]) isn't it, it's a sum of the amt on a row by row basis and I want the sum based on the total amt on an aggregated basis as transformed by the relu function.  Please solve that, if there is a solution

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ffitzpatrick47,

I think you need to add a condition to filter on total row level and write a specific formula for this.

Measure = 
IF (
    COUNTROWS ( Table1 ) = COUNTROWS ( ALLSELECTED ( Table1 ) ),
    "Total row",
    IF (
        COUNTROWS ( Table1 )
            = COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( Table1 ), [c] = MAX ( [c] ) ) ),
        MAX ( SUM ( [amt] ), 0 ),
        IF (
            COUNTROWS ( Table1 ) = COUNTROWS ( ALLSELECTED ( Table1 ) ),
            SUM ( Table1[amt] )
        )
    )
)

8.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

This formula wont' work because it's not working on the rows in an aggregate.  You'll know if it works when instead of words "Total row", the answer is the number 9.  Even if you didn't do the total row thing, your answer for the total row calculation would be wrong, because it's not sum(Table1[sAmt]), it's a relu function in the aggregate

Hi @Ffitzpatrick47,

>>Even if you didn't do the total row thing, your answer for the total row calculation would be wrong, because it's not sum(Table1[sAmt]), it's a relu function in the aggregate

As you said, current these specific calculations only calculate on summarized records.

Notice: it will try to calculate on summary records instead drill and calculate on row contents.

In my opinion, I'd like to add a variable to store summary table with specific calculate result and look for correspond result to replace the default total row level result.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.