Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

misiek5510
Helper III
Helper III

Getting Data From Multiple PowerBi's

Is it possible to get data from multiple powerbi's and store it either within a powerbi or table in excel or similar? (We have over 30 powerbi to go through every week and then once a month generate a presentation out of them). I'd only need the data that is displayed once the page is filtered

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @misiek5510 ,

If you want to use shared dataset to create your own reports, you need to have build permission for the dataset first, but it seems that you only have read-only permission, so you can't connect to the corresponding dataset in Power BI Desktop. For more information on how to give build permission, how to connect to datasets in Power BI Desktop, and some consideration or limitations, you can check out the official documentation below.

Ways to give Build permission

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

Only users with Build permission for a dataset can connect to a published dataset using the Power BI service live connection.

Also, if you can connect to the dataset, if you make some updates but do not publish to the original workspace and use the same name, there will be no change to the original dataset. The owner of the dataset will not get notified either.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
misiek5510
Helper III
Helper III

Does direct query edit the dataset it is using? If I create a calculated column etc it will only be in my local copy right? Will the owner get notified that I'm using it?

Hi @misiek5510 ,

If you want to use shared dataset to create your own reports, you need to have build permission for the dataset first, but it seems that you only have read-only permission, so you can't connect to the corresponding dataset in Power BI Desktop. For more information on how to give build permission, how to connect to datasets in Power BI Desktop, and some consideration or limitations, you can check out the official documentation below.

Ways to give Build permission

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

Only users with Build permission for a dataset can connect to a published dataset using the Power BI service live connection.

Also, if you can connect to the dataset, if you make some updates but do not publish to the original workspace and use the same name, there will be no change to the original dataset. The owner of the dataset will not get notified either.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@misiek5510 , Power Bi Dataset as direct query.

Enable preview feature - Direct query Power Bi dataset as ..

Then once you add the power bi dataset you can change the model type using the option under modeling tab and then you can add another model.

Once add all models, you can copy-paste visuals from all 30 files to this file. Do not add duplicate models.

You can also use dashboard add page from different power bi files

Right, so I've added directquery for pbi datasets and AS in the preview features settings, restarted the powerbi and do I now go to get data > Power BI datasets ? I don't need whole dataset just the filtered output.

Also what is worth mentioning is that I'm not the owner of the other dashboards and I just have read only access to them. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.