Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Benji_B
Frequent Visitor

Functionality in Direct Query

Hi everyone, first time posting but have found lots of useful content using this forum so thank you to all the contributors!

I have a question that i'm pretty sure is not going ot be possible but thought i'd ask anyway!

I work at an Airport and have built some Security Area performance reports that allow users to see current queue times and equipment performance. I only need current days data so have a report and/or page level filter to display latest metrics, we have 8 years worth of data stored in SQL server so for performance reasons i use a relative filter for the current day only.

The issue i have is that we have a monthly allowance of service measures, on the report page i need to display the number of times we have exceeded our service measure in the current month. I can achive this by setting a relative date filter to the report and using a measure to count the number of times that target has not been achived. However, performance of the report then suffers as i have to set relative visual filters to 'This Day' for the rest of the items.

I know i could use a calculated column to count the number of occurances but within Direct Query i cannot use many of the functions needed to achieve this, using a measure means it is effected by the report level filter.

Basically i need a DAY level filter on the report but also need to be able to get a value returned from a Month range for one specific visual.

Are there any functions available in Calculate Columns whilst in Direct query that would help achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Ps. i do not have access to the data source in SQL server, only read permissions to build reports in Power bi.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Benji_B ,

I still have a little confused  about your scenario.

If it is convenient, could you share some data sample and your desired output so that I could have a test on it?

In addition, if you want to know what dax functions could be used in direct query mode, please have a reference of this document.

Additional reference: limitations-of-directquery

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Benji_B ,

I still have a little confused  about your scenario.

If it is convenient, could you share some data sample and your desired output so that I could have a test on it?

In addition, if you want to know what dax functions could be used in direct query mode, please have a reference of this document.

Additional reference: limitations-of-directquery

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.