Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Formula Help

I have this table:

1.PNG
 I am attempting to put together a formula that looks at the latest month for a record and calculates the sum of revenue for that month and multiply it by 12. So in this case, the latest month recorded for revenue is December 2017 which would total 71.28 (271.28-200.00) and multiplying that by 12 would give 855.36 as the projected sum going forward. How can I set this up with the assumption that going forward in each month, there will be new revenue dates and amounts when refreshed? Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So there is no confusion beforehand, here is a look at my setup:

1.PNG
1.PNG

Account_c from Delta Account and Related_Account_c from Client Revenue were appended into a single table as the unique ID so I can work with fields from both tables. Cross filters on both tables are set to 'Both'. If I do not set these to 'Both', I don't get individual revenue for each account like I'm looking for:

Wrong (single cross filter):

1.PNG

Correct (Both cross filter):

1.PNG

Now, to the formula. I am looking to build a formula based upon the revenue date that looks back two months from the current month, gathers the sum of revenue for that month (based on Revenue_Date_c) and multiplies that number by 12. So in plain terms since it is March, it would be:

(Sum of January Revenue) *12

Once it is April it will then be:

(Sum of February Revenue) *12

etc. etc.

So looking at one company for example:

1.PNG

(Working with December revenue until database is updated to bring in January numbers) The sum of revenue for December would be 71.28 (271.28-200.00) and multiplying that by 12 is 855.36 which is the result I'm looking for. How can I create a formula that gives this?

Well, you can get your EndDate for your calculation like this:

EndDate = EOMONTH(EDATE(TODAY(),-2),0)

And your StartDate like this:

StartDate = EOMONTH(EDATE([EndDate],-1),0)+1

So, you could use these as your filters to calculate 2 months ago from whatever TODAY is and then multiply by 12.

So, what is going on is that you are going back 2 months from today and then getting the end of the month for that month (EndDate). StartDate takes that date, subtracts a month, finds the end of that month and then adds 1 day to give you the start of the month of EndMonth. Lots of different ways of calculating this but this method ensures that you can span years without a problem.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous

Try this MEASURE

Measure =
VAR lastmonth =
    MONTH ( LASTDATE ( Table1[Revenue_Date__c] ) )
VAR lastyear =
    YEAR ( LASTDATE ( Table1[Revenue_Date__c] ) )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Table1[Revenue_Amount__c] ),
        YEAR ( Table1[Revenue_Date__c] ) = lastyear
            && MONTH ( Table1[Revenue_Date__c] ) = lastmonth
    )

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zubair_Muhammad Not quite. It just matched the grand total of Revenue Column:

1.PNG

Hi @Anonymous,

@Zubair_Muhammad's solution should work for you.

Then based on your screenshot, it seems like you are creating a calculated column not a measure. Right? Please refer to following sample, and you can find out the difference between calculated column and measure. 

By the way, they are using the same expression:

11.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xjiin-msft not sure what I'm doing wrong:

1.PNG

@Anonymous

Could you share your file?

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zubair_Muhammad Unfortunately I don't think I can since my datasets contains company credentials to our CRM. What could be the issue is how the relationships are set up? Data from two different datasets are connected via a unique ID table and the security filter on both tables is set to 'Both'. The data I'm showing comes from two different places connected by the ID's highlighted:

1.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.