Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Wolly
Helper I
Helper I

Formula.Firewall - best steps to troubleshoot

I'm getting the error "Formula.Firewall: Query 'Dim - Current Stock Universe and Mkt Price' (step 'Invoked Custom Function') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination."

The "Dim - Current Stock Universe..." is an table that has aggregated ticker data from 2 other tables (I appended two tables to a master table).  The Custom Function alluded to is a call to EODHD stock data..  

With this particular query, when I turn privacy off, the issue goes away....when i set up other queries with this same function, the issue doesn't seem to occur ie the function performs fine.

Any suggestions for how I can best troubleshoot this issue for this query without making my data vulnerable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yaningy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Wolly 

According to your description, you have encountered a Formula.Firewall problem while querying a table using a custom function, here are some possible solutions.

1.You can choose to ignore privacy levels in the options settings. This is the easiest way to get rid of the problem, but this may pose a security risk.

vyaningymsft_0-1702362679383.png

2. Please consider using the method of using a flat query to split your steps and avoid referencing multiple data sources at the Source step.

Related Links: How to fix the Formula.Firewall error in Power Query (2 ways) (exceloffthegrid.com)

3. Using the Value.NativeQuery() function to run queries.

Related Links: Chris Webb's BI Blog: Data Privacy Settings In Power BI/Power Query, Part 3: The Formula.Firewall Er...

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yaningy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Wolly 

According to your description, you have encountered a Formula.Firewall problem while querying a table using a custom function, here are some possible solutions.

1.You can choose to ignore privacy levels in the options settings. This is the easiest way to get rid of the problem, but this may pose a security risk.

vyaningymsft_0-1702362679383.png

2. Please consider using the method of using a flat query to split your steps and avoid referencing multiple data sources at the Source step.

Related Links: How to fix the Formula.Firewall error in Power Query (2 ways) (exceloffthegrid.com)

3. Using the Value.NativeQuery() function to run queries.

Related Links: Chris Webb's BI Blog: Data Privacy Settings In Power BI/Power Query, Part 3: The Formula.Firewall Er...

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.