Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SEC
Regular Visitor

Filter Not Working for Similar Data on Drill Through Page

Hello! I am having trouble getting Power BI to filter correctly when there is similar content in a column. I have data from an org chart that includes 1. office name, 2. team name, and 3. staff name. I have one page in the report with a table that lists office and team info, and a second “drill-through” page with staff names/details. The idea is you are prompted on page 1 to select a specific office, then a team within that office, and then based on that selection, you see the staff listing for that selected team on page 2 (there is a button).

The issue I’m having is that there is an “admin team” in each office. This data is pulled from a widely used org chart so I can’t easily edit the source data to give each admin team a unique name. In my report, even though users have to first pick an office, then a team within that office, if they select the admin team for that office, the staff listing results include ALL staff that work in the 3 admin teams. It’s not filtering by office, even though it is supposed to.

I even tried creating a new column that merged the office acronym and team name, so that each admin team would have a unique office acronym added to their name (ex: MKTNG Admin Team, FIN Admin Team), but that still did not work. The drill through features work perfectly for all other team names.

My data is sort of like the table below. So when I want to see the listing for the Marketing Office's Admin Team, I should be getting a result on the drill through page that lists Becky and Brad. But instead, the results include ALL staff from EACH Admin Team: Becky, Brad, Emily, Earl, George, Ginnie. 

Office NameTeam NameStaff Member Name
Marketing OfficeAdmin TeamBecky
Marketing OfficeAdmin TeamBrad
Marketing OfficeGraphics TeamCathy
Marketing OfficeGraphics TeamCarl
Marketing OfficeComms TeamDarrin
Marketing OfficeComms TeamDiane
Finance OfficeAdmin TeamEmily
Finance OfficeAdmin TeamEarl
Finance OfficeData TeamFrances
Finance OfficeData TeamFrank
Planning OfficeAdmin TeamGeorge
Planning OfficeAdmin TeamGinnie
Planning OfficeProject TeamHannah
Planning OfficeProject TeamHarry

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SEC see attached pbix file and let's go from there.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SEC make sure on your main page, you have both the team name and office name like in the visual below:

parry2k_0-1682374388237.png

and on drill thru page, you keep all filters set to on  and drill through from is team name as shown below:

parry2k_1-1682374447628.png

and now when you drill thru from the main page to the staff page, it will show the staff for the team from that specific office, as in the screenshot below I use the admin team from the marketing office and show only respective staff members on the drill thru page

parry2k_2-1682374556097.png

Follow us on LinkedIn and  to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

SEC
Regular Visitor

@parry2k Thank you so much for looking into this! Unfortunately, I'm still having the same issue. I triple checked everything.

When I try to drill through to the staff listing for the Admin Team in the Marketing Office, I'm still getting an inaccurate result that associates staff with the wrong office, like below. But the drill through works perfectly for all the other teams.

Team NameOffice NameStaff Member Name
Admin TeamMarketing OfficeBecky
Admin TeamMarketing OfficeBrad
Admin TeamMarketing OfficeEmily
Admin TeamMarketing OfficeEarl
Admin TeamMarketing OfficeGeorge
Admin TeamMarketing OfficeGinnie

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.