Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

vcb_001
Frequent Visitor

Filling blank values based on a string in another column

Hi everyone,

I have two columns in my data table, and I need to transform null values based on a string in the previous column. The structure of the data is quite straigthforward but, the issue is having to look all characters in the string of the specific cell if the main column's value is blank.

FirstColumnSecondColumn
CHICAGO-SLS-1001Unknown
TEXAS-SLS-3003sales
DENVER-SCM-203123supply chain
CHICAGO-SLSS-2300Unknown

HOUSTON-SCM-2021

Unknown

What I would like to do is if the data on the first column contains 'SLS' or 'SLSS' anywhere, I would like to fill only the 'Unknown' value as 'sales' on the second column. However, I shouldn't transform the ones like the second row since the data has been already there by default. Only for the unknown ones, I should get the information from the string in the first column somehow. How can I do that in Power BI?

I'm looking forward to having your feedback.

Thanks a lot for your consideration and support in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@vcb_001 

Try these steps

#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "New Collumn", each if [SecondColumn] = "Unkown" then "Sales" else [SecondColumn]),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"FirstColumn", "New Collumn"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HarishKM
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@vcb_001 Hello,
You can go to power query and select column where you wanted replace value and
Then right click and select replace value.
this pop up box will apear then you can fill values and hit okay to replace unknown with desired result.

HarishKM_0-1695381060581.png

Thanks
Harish M

DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@vcb_001 

Try these steps

#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "New Collumn", each if [SecondColumn] = "Unkown" then "Sales" else [SecondColumn]),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"FirstColumn", "New Collumn"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"
DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @vcb_001 

You can add a conditional column in the Query Editor for this table.  If you need some help to do this I can post you in the right direction. 

Add a conditional column - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

I don't want to create a new column, I need to replace values.

DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @vcb_001 

As you stated that you want to replace the null based on another column, then you will need some logic to do this.

You can add the logic to bring through the column you are using into the new column with the replaced values as well, then remove that column, so you are left with the one column and the values you need. 

This is a simple transformation in PQ and will evaluete the table at source and push trhough the desired output to use in your model. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.