Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gingerclaire
Helper III
Helper III

File won't open as it says it is corrupt.

We had this happen before and can't remember the quick fix we used!

We have not recently updated this file and it was previously working. It was only created a week or so ago. NO previous versions seem to exist to restore to).

please help as i spent hours on this 😞

7 REPLIES 7
a299epw
Advocate I
Advocate I

I tried a few of the suggestions with no luck, I connect via a wifi hotspot so what worked for me was connecting via a different hotspot and it downloaded without the corrupt error.  Maybe certain internet connections can occasionally cause the error to popup?

elizsoper

I had this problem. If you opened the file from OneDrive or SharePoint, go to where the file is located online using your browser and download the file to your local computer from there. You will be able to open it from Downloads!

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gingerclaire 

Rather than directly double clicking .pbix file, open Power BI Desktop, click File -> Open -> Select the corrupted pbix file. If you can see a yellow ribbon saying open in autorecovery mode.. Click on it and the file will be opened with the version before it got corrupted.

If you still cannot open it, please copy your .pbix file under a different file path, then, try to open it.

I found one that is similar to your question, you can refer to other people's opreations in it .

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/report-file-corrupt-or-invalid/m-p/309520

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@gingerclaire , just check this on the March version , in case it was caused by Apil 2021 release/update

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-latest-update-archive

I have the Version: 2.91.884.0 64-bit (March 2021) if that is what you mean?

@gingerclaire , I hope the file was created on March 2021, not on the April 2021?

It was created on this version I am currently using - 2.91.884.0 64-bit (March 2021)

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.