Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Feature for different license

Hi,

I have many quesitons regarding the license. I searched but I cannot find the answer:( Thank you for your help!

1. I wonder if desktop will show different features if I use different license. For example, if I use Desktop as a "Free" license, I can still use Advanced AI  But according to the price page, only PPU or Premium per capacity can use Advanced AI feature. so I wonder if users with any license( free, pro, PPU) can use any of the features in desktop, it just the matter of fact that whehter they can publish to Power BI service and shared with others. 

2. If my company purchase a Premium per capacity license, do I need to buy a PPU license for the publisher so I can use all the feaetures such as Dataflows? According to the pricing chart, Pro cannot use Dataflow, so with a Pro and a Premium license, can I still use Dataflows?

Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI

Thank you so much for your help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Power BI provides access to a set of functions from Azure Cognitive Services to enrich your data in the self-service data prep for Dataflows. The services that are supported today are Sentiment AnalysisKey Phrase ExtractionLanguage Detection, and Image Tagging. The transformations are executed on the Power BI service and do not require an Azure Cognitive Services subscription. This feature requires Power BI Premium.

More details: Tutorial: Use Cognitive Services in Power BI 

About for the Dataflows features:

vpollymsft_0-1649209778339.png

More details: What licenses do you need to use dataflows? 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can access Cognitive services (Text Analytics and Vision) through the Power BI plans: Premium and Premium Per User (PPU). You can also use Cognitive services in Power Query with the Pro plan, but the method about doing this is different from Premium or PPU Plans. To use it with the Pro Plan, you will need to create a function that calls Cognitive services. In this function, you will need to provide a Cognitive Services key and endpoint from Azure. You will need to be familiar with M and JSON but if you are not, luckily there is a pre-defined template https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cognitive-services/text-analytics/tutorials/tutorial-power-bi... .

The table below describes which plans include the AI feature capability.

vpollymsft_0-1649057299152.jpeg

More details: Introduction to AI Insights in Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Polly,

thank you for your reply. If I have a Pro license and P1 Premium capacity, can my Pro license access to the Cognitive services like the way the Premium capacity is using? Also, for the Dataflows features, can my pro license use all the features of Dataflows as I also have premium capacity license? Thank you so much!

Hi @Anonymous ,

Power BI provides access to a set of functions from Azure Cognitive Services to enrich your data in the self-service data prep for Dataflows. The services that are supported today are Sentiment AnalysisKey Phrase ExtractionLanguage Detection, and Image Tagging. The transformations are executed on the Power BI service and do not require an Azure Cognitive Services subscription. This feature requires Power BI Premium.

More details: Tutorial: Use Cognitive Services in Power BI 

About for the Dataflows features:

vpollymsft_0-1649209778339.png

More details: What licenses do you need to use dataflows? 

Best Regards

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

1. There is only one version of Power BI Desktop.  Ok, there are two versions - there is also Power BI Desktop RS (Report Server) edition.  The features available on the desktop are not impacted by your capacity SKU(s)

2. The usual setup is to have Premium SKUs and PRO licenses for developers.  PPU is more for scenarios where you don't have  a Premium SKU.

Dataflows are fully supported on Premium SKUs. Not sure where you got the impression from that they are not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.

I understand there is only one version of Power BI Desktop for Power BI service. What I don't understand is, if some features can only use by PPU or Premium per capacity, why can a Pro license use a Premium feature, say, Advanced AI, in Desktop? 

I guess it might because Power BI doesn't check the permission of using some license specific features until the *.pbix is published to Power BI Service.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.