Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Exported column with number or text data in PowerBI

Good morning

I exported an Excel table in Power BI. Some columns have numerical or text values and are combined (example: 10001, 3526, ZTIS, ZMMR, etc.).

When I import it into PowerBI it tells me that there are errors and only the numeric fields appear. Where I would have to park the text fields I get blank.

Could anyone help me with the setup? I haven't found what adjustments I have to make.

Thank you

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

Did you try to delete the step Changed Type and then choose the type text ?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AntoineTRICHET
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

You probably have a step in your query to determine the type of value in your columns (ChangedType). It is often automatically generated. In your case it probably determines that the data in your column have the type decimal number so the text values are interpreted as errors. Go to Power Query Editor and modify the step #ChangedType to fix your column as any type (see picture below). The other solution is to choose the type text for your column (it will keep both the numbers and the text).

AntoineTRICHET_0-1633346321741.png

If it solved your issue, please accept it as a solution

Hello Antoine.

I have the columns as an Integer. As you say, PowerBI tries to convert references like "BMCS" into numeric so it gives error.

I try to go change type and I have tried the different options but I do not get anything. Attached image.Problema columna.jpg

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

Did you try to delete the step Changed Type and then choose the type text ?

Hello. In excel I have everything as Text and I have reloaded it in Power BI. I am loaded as text but I also get only the numerical formats, those that have text formatting get error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.