Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

wvuthha
Frequent Visitor

Error - Couldn't load the data for this visual - Maybe because of a live connection?

Hi guys,

I have a report connected to an existing dataset (let's call it DS1) and additionally to an Excel files (group_it.csv). To be able to do that, I have turned on the preview feature "DirectQuery for PBI dataset and AS".

Everything works fine. I can show data from the dataset and the Excel together in one visual.

When I publish this, I create a new dataset (DS2).

Then I created another report and used one data source, exactly said, the dataset of my first report (DS2).

When I try to visualise fields originally from the Excel, everything is ok. But I cannot use fields from the very first dataset (DS1). I get the following error message.

wvuthha_0-1668169913367.png

It seems like it is not possible to connect , but in my opinion, this should not be necessary. Isn't the complete data yet stored in the second dataset (DS2)?

Do you have any idea how I can fix that?

Best regards

Thomas

4 REPLIES 4
wvuthha
Frequent Visitor

Hm, maybe my whole explanation was misleading. I try it with other words.

I have a report (ReportA) with storage mode mixed. This is because I use a direct connection (to Dataset1) and also imported tables. I have also relationships between the live data tables and the imported tables. Evrything works fine.

Then I publish this, so I create a new dataset (DatasetA).

If other users connect to this dataset, they can use the imported tables, but not the live connection.

Maybe this is, because they haven't connected directly to Dataset1 but "through" my DatasetA?

Is this not possible?

wvuthha
Frequent Visitor

I think the error message is misleading. Power BI indeed have access to c (that is my OneDrive) and also can show date from this csf file. But it can't show data from the very first live connection dataset.

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wvuthha ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The Power BI service has no idea how to get to your C: drive.  Change your data source to the other end of the OneDrive stick (the online location).

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.