Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

marksmart
Regular Visitor

Embedding PowerBI into Sharepoint on premise - What licenses are required?

OK So I've done a lot of reading around about this question but I felt the only way to truly answer it would be to try and get help from someone who really knows.

I've been using the PowerBI desktop application for a few weeks, it's great and I had decided that the Pro version would meet our requirements. Here's what I wanted to do and the tools/licenses we have.

Application - PowerBI desktop (will be the PRO license)

Office 365 license - Enterprise E3

Data connections - SQL server/Flat files etc

Data refreshes - Would be desirable

Method of sharing - Sharepoint (on premise)

I wanted to create dashaboard in PowerBI PRO desktop, then follow the process to embed/display them in our sharepoint sites. I've seen that we have the PowerBI web part so I thought I was off to a good start. However I've read a lot of conflicting information about weather this will work or not, some say everyone who wants to view the reports/dashboards will need s PRO license, while others suggest that everyone (even free users) can view anything that is shared with them - as in this documentation article https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-embed-report-spo/

Can anyone help with a definitive answer to this? I've read alot but everyone seems to have a slightly different question/interpretation etc.

Really appreciate any help on this

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @marksmart,

To view Power BI reports embedded on SharePoint online, users have to have Power BI Pro License.

As described in above link, to enable a free license user have access to embedded reports, you need Power BI Premium environment.  If you already have a Power BI Premium, you need to assign a workspace to a capacity. Then, you list the free user as a member of this app workspace. In that case, free users can read the embedded reports.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @marksmart,

To view Power BI reports embedded on SharePoint online, users have to have Power BI Pro License.

As described in above link, to enable a free license user have access to embedded reports, you need Power BI Premium environment.  If you already have a Power BI Premium, you need to assign a workspace to a capacity. Then, you list the free user as a member of this app workspace. In that case, free users can read the embedded reports.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

We have created an app in a premium space and every user we try can see the app on the PowerBI app with a free license.  However, its' been hit or miss on the Sharepoint embedded link; with some users being able to see it with PowerBI Free and Others getting a message stating that they neew PowerBI Pro.  Any ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.