Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Display Multiple Columns Embedded within each Record

Hello,

My raw data example is below and it includes 2 columns (temperature and duration) that require 3 values embedded within each record that match to each other within every single record (each product - A, B, C etc.). I cannot work about the best way to display this data in a Power BI table or matrix. Is this even possible?

MergeTable.png

I have tried different ways of setting up the raw data (such as Temperature A, Duration A, Temperature B, Duration B etc. etc.) and I've tried splitting columns by delimiter into rows, but this just doesn't give me the look of the above example I need. 

I appreciate my question is a little unclear and I am finding it hard to word it because I simply don't know the correct terms. I hope you can understand what I mean.

Thanks,

Adam

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous why don't you use matrix visual, add product and country on rows, turn off stepped layout on format page, and add temperature and duration on value.

Drill down to country-level so that both product and country are shown. Did you already try this?

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

In order to use any visual in Power BI, you need to first organize your data. As per the screenshot, you seem to have Product and Country appearing only in the 1st row of each set of records. In that case, you can use Power Query to apply Fill-down. I suggest you share your sample in a format that can be understood and used, maybe you can attach an excel file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes @Fowmy , I understand that. However, this doesn't achieve what I'm looking for. The reason each product/country only appears once is because it is merged and centered in Excel. I provided this screenshot as an ideal visual scenario. It applies to each of the 3 rows.

I don't want the other rows such as country and product to repeat 3 times in the visual, this is what I am trying to avoid as it's a lot of data duplication.

Thanks

@Anonymous 

If you need to achieve what you have in the screenshot then it's possible but the numbers will be converted to text, meaning. is that alright?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I'm actually not sure what you are trying to achieve? Can you provide more details? 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No worries @parry2k . Please take note of the 'Temperature' and 'Duration' of each singular product. Each product (record) has 3 temperatures and 3 durations. I need to display these 3 within each singular record. You can see the result I am trying to achieve in the screenshot.

Does that make more sense?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , the display which you have shown is not possible. I doubt seeing any other custom visual like that.

but you can explore

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps?product=power-bi-visuals

Best is matrix product country as rows and rest as values with stepped layout off

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/desktop-matrix-visual

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak @Fowmy @Jihwan_Kim @parry2k @selimovd I don't know if any of you guys would be able to help me out here? It would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.