Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Display FORMAT with millions with one decimal?

Hi all,

I am not able to use FORMAT to display an amount in millions with ONE decimal.

Displaying it with wero decimals works...

format([Amount],"0,, M")
I've tried quite a few changes, but it does not seem to work! Changing it to
"0.0,, M" brings in one decimal, but also brings in the entire 7 figure number...

Please help.
Thank you,
Alice
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can do some log math here.  The format string depends on the number of digits in your actual data point.  For example if your data value is 10000 then you need one comma. if the value is 100 then you need zero commas etc.

So - take the log10 of your value, subtract 6 if you are going for millions, integer (floor) divide it by three, and then add the resulting number of commas to your format string.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I found this solution: "#,##,,.0M"

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can do some log math here.  The format string depends on the number of digits in your actual data point.  For example if your data value is 10000 then you need one comma. if the value is 100 then you need zero commas etc.

So - take the log10 of your value, subtract 6 if you are going for millions, integer (floor) divide it by three, and then add the resulting number of commas to your format string.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.