Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

thomasronn
Resolver I
Resolver I

DateTimeZone loosing Zone info after custom function

I have a simple sql table with a datetime field which I want in local time. Converting it by changing type to datetimezone and then use ToLocal work fine. 

But when I also use a custom function to add an extra column the time is no longer changed to local time.

What am I doing wrong?

let
    Source = Sql.Databases("localhost"),
    PowerBI = Source{[Name="PowerBI"]}[Data],
    dbo_Table_1 = PowerBI{[Schema="dbo",Item="Table_1"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(dbo_Table_1,{{"Created", type datetimezone}}),
    #"Calculated Local Time" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Created", DateTimeZone.ToLocal, type datetimezone}}),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Calculated Local Time", "Type2", each add2([Type]))
in
    #"Invoked Custom Function"

Wiithout the #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Calculated Local Time", "Type2", each add2([Type])) line I get "Created" in local time, with the line inserted "Created" is utc.

The custom function is just a dummy function for testing that add 2 to inputvalue

let
    Source = (val as number) => val + 2
in
    Source

3 REPLIES 3
thomasronn
Resolver I
Resolver I

More info..

using the sql profiler I can see that the sql statements generated by power bi differs.

Without the custom function inserted the sql statement is

select [_].[EntryNo] as [EntryNo],
    [_].[Created] as [Created],
    [_].[Type] as [Type],
    convert(datetimeoffset, [_].[Created]) as [t0_0]
from [dbo].[Table_1] as [_]

With custom function

select [$Table].[EntryNo] as [EntryNo],
    [$Table].[Created] as [Created],
    [$Table].[Type] as [Type]
from [dbo].[Table_1] as [$Table]

so somehow powerbi desides that the datetimeoffset info isn't needed when a custom function is used. Why? 

Hi @thomasronn,

The cause could be the custom function. You add date with number, which couldn't work. I tried this function. It worked. You can try it out.

let
    Source = (val as datetimezone) => Date.AddDays(val, 2)
in
    Source

Date_Time_Zone_loosing_Zone_info_after_custom_function

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, but my custom function is not using the datetime. I use a custom function on a number column.

The strange thing is that when I have 

Table.TransformColumnTypes(dbo_Table_1,{{"Created", type datetimezone}})

the sql statement is changed into a statement with 

convert(datetimeoffset, [_].[Created]) as [t0_0]

which make sense.

But if I also have a custom function the Convert(datetimeoffset..) is gone. Which is wrong.

I actually managed to get the convert(datetimeoffset...) in again by also transform another column from whole number to decimal number. So to me it looks like a bug in the optimizing of the sql statement.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.