Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

lherbert501
Helper V
Helper V

Dataset vs PBIX Template

Hi ,

I have a report that is exactly the same but for multiple customers.

My question is do you think its better to have 50 of the same PBIX files (different custid) facing 1 dataset and changing the pbix at every change to the pbix file, or 50 different datasets with 1 pbix template?

Trying to make it as efficient as possible when I need to make a change or fix.

Thanks

Liam

6 REPLIES 6
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lherbert501 ,

Thank you for @audreygerred  answer , and I have other suggestions:

Firstly, 50 different datasets with 1 pbix template is suitable for anyone has different datasets.Combining these two, I feel it's better to use one template if your user data is different, it's too time-consuming if everyone creates a pbix and modifies it on their own.

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xiandat-msft ,

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that they are all sent out using external links as we dont have the pro version unfortunately, and this is something that can't be changed, which makes RLS impossible.

All of the datasets are exactly the same but as I can't use one PBIT template along with a single dataset, it seems there's no other way around this.

I currently have 1 PBIT template and 50 different datasets, as my thinking was it was more likely at this stage for the PBIX/PBIT to change than any data changes.

Thanks

Liam

Hi @lherbert501 ,

It’s unfortunate that external sharing with RLS is not directly supported in Power BI when using datasets with external links

For your one template and 50 datasets looking at it, it is possible to analyse the data by how it changes under the same template, respectfully!

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xiandat-msft ,

Thanks again for your reply. Could you please elaborate on analysing data by how it changes under the same template? What does this mean?

Thanks

Liam

audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Is the reason you want separate reports or semantic models so that users only see data that is specific to them? If that is the case, I would implement RLS on the semantic model and then one report which would show the user only data they are allowed to see.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @audreygerred 

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that they are all sent out using external links as we dont have the pro version unfortunately, and this is something that can't be changed, which makes RLS impossible.

I currently have 1 PBIT template and 50 different datasets, as my thinking was it was more likely at this stage for the PBIX/PBIT to change than any data changes.

Thanks

Liam

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.