Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Elektra

Dataset by using Analysis Services

Hey Everybody, i hope someone can help me with my Problem here.

I was using a a PowerBI Report with an live connection by using Analysis Services but since i can't tranform the Data in anyway, i build a new report. Instead of using the live i import the Data by using again Analysis Services. But unfortunately it dont show me the same Data as with the Live Connection. Do anyone of you have an idea? I am realy lost and dont knpw why this is not working 😞

Thanks for help. 

Regards

Elektra

2 REPLIES 2
Elektra

Thank you very much for your reply Jing, I am very happy about that. I already know the difference between live and import. But my problem is that the dates do not match. I am missing records that I have in the live connection. I just don't understand it because it is the same dataset.

Regards

Elektra

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Elektra 

You may have a look at the document Connect to Analysis Services tabular data in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

For Analysis Services models, Power BI provides two types of connection: live connection and import. 

When using a live connection, items in your tabular model or perspective, like tables, columns, and measures appear in your Power BI Desktop Fields pane list. When connecting live, no data from the tabular model is imported into Power BI Desktop. Each time you interact with a visualization, Power BI Desktop queries the tabular model and calculates the results you see. You’re always looking at the latest data that is available in the tabular model, either from the last processing time, or from DirectQuery tables available in the tabular model. 

Question: If I created a live connection, can I edit the model or query in Power BI Desktop?

Answer: You can create report level measures in the Power BI Desktop, but all other query and modeling features are disabled when exploring live data. 

When you connect with Import option, you can select items like tables, columns, and measures in your tabular model or perspective and load them into a Power BI Desktop model. Use Power BI Desktop’s Power Query Editor to further shape what you want and its modeling features to further model the data. 

In short, when you connect to an Analysis Services model with live connection, you are not able to transform the data. When you connect to it with import, you can transform the data and model it further. 

For more understanding of Import/DirectQuery/LiveConnection, you can refer to Power BI Connection Types: DirectQuery, Live, or Import? Tough Decision! - RADACAD

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.