Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dataflows in Pro

We work with people using Premium and Pro and are trying to put together some governance on where to use dataflows

from what I can see, if you are doing a lot of heavy lifting in Power Query editor which needs In lake Compute then Pro wont allow you to do this. Its Premium only

Also you can't do incremental refresh and they are much slower to refresh because they arent in Premium Gen2

Are there any other reasons I can come up with for not running with dataflows if you only have Pro licenses?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DebbieE ,

There are limitations for Dataflows in shared capacities:

• When refreshing Dataflows, timeouts in a shared capacity are 2 hours per table, and 3 hours per Dataflow
  • Linked tables cannot be created in shared Dataflows, although they can exist within the Dataflow as long as the
  • Load Enabled property on the query is disabled
  • Computed tables cannot be created in shared Dataflows
  • AutoML and Cognitive services are not available in shared Dataflows
  • Incremental refresh does not work in shared Dataflows

The following features are available only with Power BI Premium:

• Enhanced compute engine
  • Direct Query
  • Computed entities
  • Linked Entities
  • Incremental refresh

For more information, please refer to:

Premium features of dataflows 

Dataflows considerations and limitations 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello, can I ask you a question about this topic?

Is it possible to make a dataflow in a Premium workspace with PPU user and have those benefits that you comment?

and is it possible to then consume that data from the tables from another Pro workspace so that Pro users can consume the information of the armed reports?

My intention is to have a single query to the SQL databases we have and leave the tables in the service and then use them in different datasets.

Thank you

Sebastian

v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DebbieE ,

Has your problem been solved? If it is solved, please mark a reply which is helpful to you.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Any more of these would be really useful? 

Hi @DebbieE ,

There are limitations for Dataflows in shared capacities:

• When refreshing Dataflows, timeouts in a shared capacity are 2 hours per table, and 3 hours per Dataflow
  • Linked tables cannot be created in shared Dataflows, although they can exist within the Dataflow as long as the
  • Load Enabled property on the query is disabled
  • Computed tables cannot be created in shared Dataflows
  • AutoML and Cognitive services are not available in shared Dataflows
  • Incremental refresh does not work in shared Dataflows

The following features are available only with Power BI Premium:

• Enhanced compute engine
  • Direct Query
  • Computed entities
  • Linked Entities
  • Incremental refresh

For more information, please refer to:

Premium features of dataflows 

Dataflows considerations and limitations 

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DebbieE , On Pro you can not have Direct Query on Dataflows 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.