Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ghouse_peer
Post Patron
Post Patron

Data Refresh

Hey Guys I have a question:

1) I have excel file in Microsoft teams, I opened that file in sharepoint using open in sharepoint option.

2) I opened that excel file from sharepoint and later used 'Open in desktop App'. The excel file got opened in excel app from desktop/PC.

3) Got the path from excel file, used the same path as a data source in Power bi.

4) In Power Bi, Get data->Web->used the path.

5) Got the data in power bi and created reports.

6) Published the report in power bi service/Pro.

Q1: When i update the excel file in sharepoint and do refresh in Power Bi desktop, The data gets refreshed. But whether the data gets refershed in Power bi service too, where i have published the same report before?

Q2: If not, Then wht is the procedure for data to get refreshed  in power bi service/Pro simultaneously. Whether i need to publish the report again to Power bi service/Pro from desktop?

Q3: If the reports need to be maintained by other user apart from me so what is the procedure to send the file to him without getting affected the connections and reports created.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ghouse_peer 

Q1: When i update the excel file in sharepoint and do refresh in Power Bi desktop, The data gets refreshed. But whether the data gets refershed in Power bi service too, where i have published the same report before?

The previous one has been replaced, coz the data source is in the cloud which same as where the service located. the data source will be synced in the service at every refresh.

Q2: If not, Then wht is the procedure for data to get refreshed  in power bi service/Pro simultaneously. Whether i need to publish the report again to Power bi service/Pro from desktop?

The operation that connects the SharePoint via desktop then publish to the service is the same as connecting the SharePoint in the service directly.  you can refer to the official document for refresh onedrive/sharepoint file in power bi service

Q3: If the reports need to be maintained by other users apart from me so what is the procedure to send the file to him without getting affected the connections and reports created.

How did you share the file? if he is accessing the report from power bi service, he'll always get the latest one synced from SharePoint. 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ghouse_peer 

The previous one has been replaced, coz the data source is in the cloud which same as where the service located. the data source will be synced in the service at every refresh.

The operation that connects the SharePoint via desktop then publish to the service is the same as connecting the SharePoint in the service directly.  you can refer to the official document for refresh onedrive/sharepoint file in power bi service

Q3: If the reports need to be maintained by other users apart from me so what is the procedure to send the file to him without getting affected the connections and reports created.

How did you share the file? if he is accessing the report from power bi service, he'll always get the latest one synced from SharePoint. 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

@v-diye-msft Thank you for the information. it Helped me.

@amitchandak Thanks for the info.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ghouse_peer , For share point and one drive. Validate you credential on power bi service and schedule refresh

refer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-scheduled-refresh

@amitchandak  Thank you for the solution about refresh. Can u please tell the solution for the 3rd question. Like how i can handover/send the file to other user to maintain it. Without losing the connections and reports created in it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.