Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jderekc
Helper IV
Helper IV

DAX question regarding FIRSTNONBLANK, etc

Hi all,

I previously asked a question about DAX in a thread titled "DAX for Subtracting Current Year Sales from Previous Year Sales" seen here: DAX-for-Subtracting-Current-Year-Sales-from-Previous-Year-Sales.  Well I haven't been able to fully get it to work.  The problem seems to be that DAX isn't understanding my request for if a period (2017, 2016, or DELTA) satisfies a boolean condition.  It simply seems to say, "Nope...  I don't see a period named "DELTA" so I will proceed with the other calculation).  This is my DAX query:

ProfitTwo = 
var profitLY = CALCULATE(DIVIDE(SUMX(BySupplier, BySupplier[GP]), SUMX(BySupplier, 
BySupplier[NetSalesM]), 0), BySupplier[Period] = "2016") var profitTY = CALCULATE(DIVIDE(SUMX(BySupplier, BySupplier[GP]), SUMX(BySupplier,
BySupplier[NetSalesM]), 0), BySupplier[Period] = "2017") var period = FIRSTNONBLANK(PeriodOrder[Period], 1) return IF(period = "DELTA", profitTY - profitLY, (DIVIDE(SUMX(BySupplier, BySupplier[GP]),
SUMX(BySupplier, BySupplier[NetSales]))))

So here is the problem.  I had 2017 sales with a profit margin of let's say 25.00%.  I had 2016 sales with a profit margin of 25.25%.  I want the "DELTA" row in the matrix to show the difference which is -0.25%.  Instead, it is simply calculating the DELTA row's gross profit difference divided by the net sales difference.

NOTE: The DELTA row has SQL code that populates the net sales, units sold, and gross profit columns.  The only other thing to do is populate the profit margin % which I can't seem to do in DAX.  Also, since this is a calculation based on two separate periods, DAX was the best way for me to do profit margin %.

One of the things I am confused about is the "FIRSTNONBLANK" in DAX and especially this line:

var period = FIRSTNONBLANK(PeriodOrder[Period], 1)

I am not 100% sure what it is doing.  If anyone can explain, I'd love that!

What do you think?  Any ideas?

Best regards,

Derek

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jderekc,

Can you please share some sample data for test?

Notice: please do mask sensitive data before sharing.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Let me see about getting some test data.  This is a very busy time of year so I'm not sure how quickly I can respond to this request, but I'll be grateful for the assistance of course!

Regards,

Derek

@jderekc sample data with expected result will help to get you working solution. 🙂

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.