Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

GJ217
Resolver III
Resolver III

DAX measure to calculate Working Days does not work

Hi All,

The following DAX measure to caculate the number of working days for sickness absence does not work I'm getting the below error message.

Sickness Duration (Days) = CALCULATE(
COUNTROWS(Dates),
DATESBETWEEN(Dates[Date],SicknessAbsence[AbsenceStartDate],SicknessAbsence[AbsenceEndDate]),
Dates[IsWorkingDay] = TRUE(),
ALL(Dates))

"A single value for column 'AbsenceStartDate' in table 'SicknessAbsence' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result."

I have a Dates table which is linked to my SickenessAbsence table via the AbsenceStartDate and AbsenceEndDate.

Help getting round this is much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
GJ217
Resolver III
Resolver III

@Greg_Deckler 

Thanks for the info.

Could you please explain what the variable Calendar2 does with the WEEKDAY function?

NetWorkDays = 
VAR Calendar1 = CALENDAR(MAX(NetWorkDays[created date]),MAX(NetWorkDays[review date]))
VAR Calendar2 = ADDCOLUMNS(Calendar1,"WeekDay",WEEKDAY([Date],2))
RETURN COUNTX(FILTER(Calendar2,[WeekDay]<6),[Date])

I've gone for this option but I'm getting th value 10 appear against each month in the year which doesn't look right. My adapted DAX measure is below.

SickDurationDays =
VAR Date1 = CALENDAR(MAX(SicknessAbsence[AbsenceStartDate]),MAX(SicknessAbsence[AbsenceEndDate]))
VAR Date2 = ADDCOLUMNS(Date1,"WeekDay",WEEKDAY([Date],2))
RETURN COUNTX(FILTER(Date2,[WeekDay]<6),[Date])

Help tweaking this is much appreciated!
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@GJ217 Stay away from Time Intelligence functions, they are a real hassle. You may find this helpful - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/To-bleep-With-Time-Intelligence/ba-p/1260000

Also, see if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

Also, there is a new NETWORKDAYS function in DAX now. And here is the old way: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Net-Work-Days/m-p/367362#M109

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.