Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX - calculate a measure based on a range relationship

Hello Experts,

I have a transactional table and a calendar table as below:

image.png

I need to find the number of jobs overdue (i.e.after scheduled date) as on 09-Mar-2021.

so basically looking at my calendar table, i would need all the 3 jobs from the Jobs table.

But i cannot prorate the date and create a relationship between the calendar table as prorating is causing the data size to grow exponentially and i end up having 10 M rows. 

As per the current construct, these are unrelated tables.

With Treatas i could form a relationship but that would work on equality between columns.

What i require is to filter the Jobs table based on the Calendar table using the condition :

include jobs only when Calendar date is between scheduled date and completed date.

Request your inputs in the DAX calculation for the same.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Chetan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

For the range slicer, use MAX('Calendar'[Date]) and MIN('Calendar'[Date]) to target this date range.

Measure =
IF (
    MIN ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) <= MAX ( 'Jobs'[ScheduledDate] )
        && MAX ( 'Jobs'[ScheduledDate] ) < MAX ( 'Jobs'[CompletedDate] )
        && MAX ( 'Jobs'[ScheduledDate] ) <= MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] ),
)

9.png

Can you share with me the complete sample data? It does not need to be real data, just a similar data model, and give the expected results you want.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Create the following measure. Put the measure into Filters and set as follows. In addition, select the filter type as TOPN in the Person Name field of the Filters, drag the JobNo field into the value, and select Count.

Measure = IF(MAX('Jobs'[CompletedDate])>MAX('Jobs'[ScheduledDate])&&MAX('Jobs'[ScheduledDate])<=SELECTEDVALUE('Calendar'[Date]),1)

11.png

The relationship among the three tables is as follows:

12.png

You can check more details from the attachment.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-stephen-msft ,

The scenario is a bit complicated here with Person being a dimension and only containing the Person details and no job details. Also, it has a many to one relationship with Jobs over PersonId.

There is one more complication to this, that the slicer is a range slicer and not a specific date selection.

Hi @Anonymous ,

For the range slicer, use MAX('Calendar'[Date]) and MIN('Calendar'[Date]) to target this date range.

Measure =
IF (
    MIN ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) <= MAX ( 'Jobs'[ScheduledDate] )
        && MAX ( 'Jobs'[ScheduledDate] ) < MAX ( 'Jobs'[CompletedDate] )
        && MAX ( 'Jobs'[ScheduledDate] ) <= MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] ),
)

9.png

Can you share with me the complete sample data? It does not need to be real data, just a similar data model, and give the expected results you want.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

How is the March 9 cutoff defined?  By a user slicer?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin ,

Right. The cut-off is defined by a range slicer which has start and end date.

Also to add to this requirement, i have one more table Person which has Person Name and Job Id; i need to find top 5 Persons with most overdue jobs for a selected period. 

Kind Regards,

Chetan A.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.