Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Date Range Slicer

I have a table that contains the following important values:

Iteration Path

Iteration Start Date

Iteration End Date

Work Item 

Work Item Creation Date

Work Item Closed Date

I am trying to create a slicer that allows you to select an Iteration Path that will return a count of work items with creation date or closed date during that path's date range.  

So far I have used the original table to create a seperate table of Iteration Path with Start/End dates but am not sure how to move forward from here, any help would be appreciated!

*Note: The Iteration Path attribute is related to when the item was assigned as a work item, not when it was created or completed, so the dates often dont overlap.  This is going to be used to determine how many bugs were created and closed during a given sprint*

Any questions or (helpful) comments are welcome!

3 REPLIES 3
ivancespedesl
Helper I
Helper I

You can do this in two steps. First, the slicer can be used from the "Slicer" visualization where you can filter dates according to specific or relative dates. Regarding the count, please create a measure that does exactly that. Probably something like this: Measure = count('table'[variable]).

Then you just need to make sure that this measure is being filtered by the "Slicer". To do that you have to click the slicer, go to "Format" and then "Edit Interactions".

Anything else, feel free to ask.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose my biggest issue is with the way that the slicer works as a slide bar instead of selection of paths by date range.  Yes, currently you are correct in that I can filter dates according to specific or relative dates, but I cannot choose a range from a list that will update the begining and end dates of the slicer. 

I am also required to have two seperate slicers for this method of approach, one for the creation date and a different one for the closed date of each work item since the iteration path date ranges arent linked to the creation/closed dates in any capacity.

Ideally, I would have one slicer that allows me to select the Iteration Path, and will return the corresponding closed work items and opened work items during the date range.  Thanks for the help and any further suggestions would be appreciated!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also recognize that it might seem easier to create a column in my table that checks which date range the creation/closed dates are between and just adds those as attributes for each work item.  This wont work in my case because some of the Iteration Path Start/End date ranges overlap, so the column wouldn't be able to discretize the data correctly in this manner. Sorry for that inconvenience, I wish it weren't that way as well. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.