Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Ryaneb85
Regular Visitor

Cumalative Total - Cannot filter dates

Hi All,

I'm very green when it comes to both Power BI and Dax, but I'm attempting to put together a Dashboard which is currently pulling data via ODBC from our ERP system (SysPro). The link is working fine and date is being pulled into a table named AllOrders via a query.

One of the graphs I am trying to set up is a running/cumalative sales total for the current year, which seems to be working ok. 

Here is the chart I have for 2023:

Ryaneb85_0-1683648752314.png

Here is the table showing this data as expected:

Ryaneb85_1-1683648932746.png

All seems to be good and I have got here by using the following Dax I found on this forum by @Greg_Deckler (Edit: this isn't a copy and paste of Greg's code but used as guidance towards my solution. If it is wrong, that is all me!):

Ryaneb85_2-1683649000466.png

However, I want to add secondary Y-axis to the line chart to show the previous year/s sales across the same data range. To do this I plan to use the date variables as shown in the above, but this is where I seem to be hitting a brick wall.

If I change the __MaxDate variable to a DATE function similar to the __MinDate variable to test the principal, everythign melts down and the cumalative fucntion seems to stop working completely. See the example below:

Ryaneb85_3-1683649219059.png

Ryaneb85_4-1683649285338.png

Ryaneb85_5-1683649299872.png

It seems that it is now looking at all of the dates within said table, but also that an unknown/arbitrary number is showing as the value rather than the expected a cumaltive value.

At first I thought it may be beause the filter is not working and the results are not correct due to the large number of rows within this table, but if you remove the min date and keep the max date as a MAX as opposed to an entered date, it works just fine:

Ryaneb85_6-1683649585665.png

I've lost count of the amount of time I've spend googling and trying other solutions, so any help or suggestions that can be provided would be much appreciated!

P.S. I've tried using the built in quick measures but they do not work. The hot tips seems to suggest that the data resets itself everytime it sees a duplicate, and the data has multiple orders entered within the same day, I think it's just resetting itself each line. Not very handy!

Cheers!

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Ryaneb85 Here is what is going on. Because you aren't grabbing anything in terms of the visual context but rather hard coding your date values, then every month is going to return the exact same value, the sum of the Value column between the 2 dates that you specified. So the ALLSELECTED or ALL function is overriding the visual context so that you can bring past dates into view. Thus, you need to do something like the following:

Better RT 3 = 
    VAR __MinDate = DATE(2023, 1, 1)
    VAR __MaxDate = DATE(2023, 4, 1)
    VAR __Date = MAX('Table'[Date])
    VAR __Table = FILTER(ALL('Table'), [Date] >= __MinDate && [Date] <= __Date)
    VAR __Result = IF(__Date > __MaxDate, BLANK(), SUMX(__Table, [Value]))
RETURN
    __Result

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hey @Greg_Deckler,

Many thanks for the quick reply!

I'll need to spend a little time reviewing the code and trying to figure out what is going on and why it works, but I've just dumped it into my measure and it works perfectly, so I'm over the moon already.

I'll mark it as a solution shortly, but I before I lose you I was hoping if you might be able to help with the next niggle where the lines on the graph are not running in 'parellel'. By this I mean I want the x-axis to be consistent (Jan, Feb, March etc.) and have the plotted lines to follow the month rather than year.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, but here is an image of the results as they are now, along with what I want

it to look like (my artwork is in blue):

Ryaneb85_0-1683652541226.png

Thanks,

Ryan

@Ryaneb85  @Kishore_KVN is more or less correct. If you want 2023 data to show up in 2022 then you would to calculate the date shifts, for example something along the lines of:

Better RT 3 = 
    VAR __MaxDate = MAX('Dates'[Date])
    VAR __Date = DATE(YEAR(__MaxDate) + 1, MONTH(__MaxDate), DAY(__MaxDate))
    VAR __Table = FILTER(ALL('Table'), YEAR([Date]) = YEAR(__Date) && [Date] <= __Date)
    VAR __Result = SUMX( __Table, [Value] )
RETURN
    __Result

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Kishore_KVN
Super User
Super User

For the previous year running total, you have to change variables 

Previous Year Running Total = 
Var __MinDate = Date("2022","1","1")
Var __MaxDateRef = Max('Table'[Date])
Var __MaxDate = DATE(YEAR(MaxDateRef)-1,MONTH(MaxDateRef),DAY(MaxDateRef))

Then use user variable for table and return with SUMX.

@Ryaneb85 If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly.THANK YOU!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.