Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Cross filtering not working in the Map visual - please help!

Hi all

I have a bit of a dilemma which I cannot solve. I have two SQL tables which have been imported into PBI Desktop. One table contains a list of buildings, with their postcode. The other table contains the date of the next service visit for each building, and the engineer ID of the engineer who will carry out this visit.

EG:

Buildings

ID          Postcode 

0001     ST3 4NH

0002     M3 2LM

Visits

ID         VisitDate        EngineerID

0001    13/03/2018    AL01

0002    15/05/2018    TR01

I have set a relationship between these two tables in PBI, using the Building ID field as the join field. This join has been set up to filter Both ways

I have added 3 visuals into the report - a Stacked Bar Chart visual showing a count of EngineerID, a Slicer visual showing VisitDate, and a Map visual which uses Postcode as location. I have edited interactions so that each visual can filter the other visuals.

Without any filtering applied, all visuals show the information as expected and all is correct

If I select a location on the Map visual, the other two visuals are filtered correctly.

If I select an item on the Stacked Bar Chart, this filters the Slicer visual but not the Map visual.

If I select an item on the Slicer visual, this filters the Stacked Bar Chart visual but not the Map visual.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the Map visual would not be filtered?

In SQL, I ran queries to join the two tables uing the same relationship as in PBI, and it all works fine, so I am a bit lost as to why it isnt working

Thanks for any and all help

Naz

ps I would add some images but unsure how to do that using the Insert Image button - what do I enter for Source?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ansa_naz,

Click your map visual, set Sum of Lifts to be not blank in visual level filters of the map visual.

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ansa_naz,

I am unable to reproduce your issue using the sample data you post. Could you please share PBIX file via Private Message so that I can test?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

Hi Lydia, I cant figure out how to send a PBIX file via private message - could you please let me know how I can do this? I cant see any 'add attachment' links anywhere when sending a PM. Cheers

@ansa_naz,

You can upload PBIX file to OneDrive and post shared link of the file via Private Message.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft Lydia, I have sent you the Onedrive link via private message. Cheers for your help!

@ansa_naz,

Click your map visual, set Sum of Lifts to be not blank in visual level filters of the map visual.

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Thank you @v-yuezhe-msft thats brilliant! Would never have got that!!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ansa_naz,

You are using ChicletSlicer custom visual, right? If so, enable "Edit interations" under Format tab, then click on your starcked bar chart, make sure you choose Filter for Map visual.

1.JPG2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia

I have already done that, see my original post. All visuals have had their interactions edited so they filter all other visuals.

Also, I am not using a custom 'Chiclet Slicer' visual, I am using the builtin 'Slicer' visual

Any other ideas?

See below the setup in Power BI:

Map visual interactionsMap visual interactions

Slicer visual interactionsSlicer visual interactions

Stacked Bar Chart visual interactionsStacked Bar Chart visual interactions

Filtering on Slicer and Bar Chart - not filtering down to Map visualFiltering on Slicer and Bar Chart - not filtering down to Map visual

Filtering on Map visual - filters down to Bar Chart visualFiltering on Map visual - filters down to Bar Chart visual

Cheers

@ansa_naz,

When using built-in slicer, other visuals(map, bar chart) can't filter the slicer. You can use Chiclet slicer instead.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

I understand that. However, I am trying to get other visuals to filter the Map visual, which is where I am having problems. See my new post above. Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.