Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

new2pbix
Frequent Visitor

Connecting a "shared with me" dataset in Service to Desktop

Ive searched around the site but I dont really know if I am clearly articulating my need. So here is the setup...
I am a PowerBI Premium user with Desktop. A group external to mine has shared a read-only copy of their dataset with me within the PowerBI Service. I want to know if there is a way that I can connect to that dataset from within pBI Desktop?

In order to try before I came here for help, heres what I have tried:
I viewed a report that uses this read-only "Shared with me" dataset and I clicked Export to Excel... I then opened the excel document and saw all the fields in the pivot table. I went to Connections and found the connection, and I was hoping to be able to reverse engineer that out to pull what I needed to directly connect using Desktop, but that didnt work... and I dont know what kind of "get data" to choose... so to keep from muddying up my problem, the original top paragraph is what Im trying to do. Thanks in advance! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@new2pbix,

Use the "Power BI datasets" connector:

DataInsights_0-1649956431256.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @new2pbix ,

If you want to connect to a Power BI Dataset, you

1.Have build permisson of the dataset

2.Or you are Admin/Member/Contributor role of the workspace.

Here is the more detailed description provided in the official document:
Power BI provides the Build permission as a complement to the existing permissions, Read and Reshare. All users who already had Read permission for datasets via app permissions, sharing, or workspace access at that time also got Build permission for those same datasets. They got Build permission automatically because Read permission already granted them the right to build new content on top of the dataset, by using Analyze in Excel or Export.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @new2pbix ,

If you want to connect to a Power BI Dataset, you

1.Have build permisson of the dataset

2.Or you are Admin/Member/Contributor role of the workspace.

Here is the more detailed description provided in the official document:
Power BI provides the Build permission as a complement to the existing permissions, Read and Reshare. All users who already had Read permission for datasets via app permissions, sharing, or workspace access at that time also got Build permission for those same datasets. They got Build permission automatically because Read permission already granted them the right to build new content on top of the dataset, by using Analyze in Excel or Export.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@new2pbix,

Use the "Power BI datasets" connector:

DataInsights_0-1649956431256.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.