Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connect to Oracle Database

Hi,

I have access to an Oracle db (v19). I would like to connect to the database with Power BI but struggle big time.

From other articles I've learned I need to install the 64-bit Oracle Data Access Components (v19). I've done this, extracted the file, but I don't see a client? Am I looking in the right place?

When trying to connect to the Oracle db the first message I get is: The recommended provider ('Oracle.DataAccess.Client') is not installed.....

I am not sure how to get rid of this message.

Although I can continue with OK on this message, I'm not sure this is OK for a successful connection.

In the next screen I entered the hostname:port/servicename

but then I get the following message:

Oracle: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know service requested in connect descriptor

I have no clue what is needed to get this working, who can help me please?

KR

Oracle Dummy....

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , once you installed the drivers mentioned on this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-connect-oracle-database

There is a read-only file in the drive on how to install.

Make sure you add the path to windows.  example

path.PNG

if you do not add path, it will keep on giving error

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @amitchandak , I downloaded, copied to C drive, run the install.bat file, but somehow I don't see it appear as a New Data Source in my ODBC screen. SQL Server is there, but not Oracle...

Not sure what went wrong. 

The only thing could be that I have a local and a VM ware C drive, but I tried both of them.... no luck.

Any suggestions?

v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please refer the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VeqOMAda1o

Or you can refer this thread.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Connect-To-Oracle-Database/m-p/188217

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

been a while since i installed the oracle client, but i don't think that just extracting it is good enough... was there a setup.exe or somerhing like that in the folder in which you extracted your file?  you need 64 client if you desktop is also 64 bit, i assume that your desktop is 64 bit but not a bad idea to make sure.

In short, you should look for ways to verify that you oracle client is properly installed, then Desktop will be able to see it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.