Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jlegutko_abb
Frequent Visitor

Conditional formatting - adding URLs for items with no data

Hi,

I have a problem with adding URLs (by conditional formatting) to those courses' titles where user has no status (so items with no data). The titles and URLs are in another table and user' statuses are in other, there is only relationship beetwen those two tables. Is there any solution for this? Maybe there is some other way to add hyperlinks to matrix to the titles?

example.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Lawliim
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I had the same issue and it is because PBI don't register Web URL for items with no data. I resolved this with an ugly fix, simply for numeric add a "+0" in your measure, or in this case string, add a whitespace " " to your Status column if empty, in order to ensure that every item contains any form of data.

Joeathon
Frequent Visitor

Having the same issue.  Pretty crazy that on the left side I can form the url, but conditional formatting will not apply it of the tables to the right that it is not connected to has no data.  Microsoft, can you please fix this in your application.  No reason conditional formatting shouldn't apply.

If you want to report on things that are not there ("whitespace") then you need disconnected tables and/or crossjoins.

I still don't think you understand.  Let's look jlegutko_abb report.  In the first two columns, he has data.  But when he connect it to another table the data in columns 3 & 4 are blank.  Whey he (and I) want is the hyperlink conditional formatting for column 1 & 2 to work.  I have a hyperlink for every field in column 1 and column 2, but power be won't apply the conditional formatting, even though there is a valid url constructed that it can use.  

Here is a use case for why we want to do this.  I need to report on all data that is in table one, and not in table two showing the user what matches and what does not match.  For each case that doesn't have a matching pair, we need to provide them a link to go into the source system (e.g. table one, column 1, 2).

Technically we should be able to do this, but Power BI reporting doesn't support it.  But there it is a valid use case, and the data is available to link all of the fields in column 2.  Power BI won't conditionally format it with a URL. 

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @jlegutko_abb 

Based on the information you currently provide, I can only suggest that you use function 'if ' to create another calculated column to replace the value of  those user who have no status.

Then add URLs (by conditional formatting) based on this new calculated column.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data in usable format (not as a picture) , show your data model, and show the expected outcome.

ibendlin, take two tables.  Connect them together in the model view with both directions.  Create a situation where you have a left join, and in some cases the table on the left has a record that does not have counterpart in the right table.  e.g. NULL, No Data, etc.  You can then reproduce the issue.  Pretty simple, and I think jlegutko_abb described the issue clearly.

@Joeathon  Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue. I cannot help you without meaningful sample data.
Please paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services like OneDrive or Google Drive. I cannot use screenshots of your source data.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.