Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

NISHA_S
Resolver I
Resolver I

Column header name size issue

My report is using table visualization.It contains lot of cloumns..Among them one header name is like this TOTAL GROSS WRITTEN PREMIUM, SUM OF INSTALMENTS IN ORIGINAL CURRENCY OF PREMIUM PAYMENT SAFETY SPECIALITY .I added this column with name as this...but in power bi it is not displaying full name..last word SPECIALITY contain only SPECAI .ie...fully that column header name is dispalying like this...TOTAL GROSS WRITTEN PREMIUM, SUM OF INSTALMENTS IN ORIGINAL CURRENCY OF PREMIUM PAYMENT SAFETY SPECI. Why it is happening?Any limit in header size is there....

3 REPLIES 3
Lucian
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello @NISHA_S ,

I've found myself today into the same situation when I havd to "pivot" some fields and were truncated at 100 characters.

And to be even harder, because some of the fields contains some words in paranthesis, because of loosing the "closing paranthesis" after truncating to 100 characters, I cannot use that field into a SUM, or other functions because will complain that "the field cannot be found or used in this expression".

And unfortunately I need that "automatic" rename caused by pivoting.

Any advice on how to avoid this problem?

Kind Regards,

Lucian

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NISHA_S 

You can rename this column in Power Query Editor and then apply this change to Power BI Desktop. In this way, it can be displayed completely. However, if I rename a column in Power BI Desktop directly, it ends with SPECI. It seems the name size limit between Power Query Editor and Power BI Desktop is different when you enter the name, but a longer name can still display completely in the table although it cannot be entered completely in Power BI Desktop. Seems weird.

031106.jpg

031107.jpg

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @NISHA_S ,

Not aware of any such limitation in Power BI.

I tried replicating the column name provided by you and for me it is coming to be perfectly OK.

Please see if you are using the latest version of Power BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.