Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Maku12
Frequent Visitor

Column chart with conditional formatting and positive or negative deviation at the top of the column

I have created the following diagram in Excel: It shows the sales budget per month (gray columns) and the respective overrun or underrun of the actual sales figures per month in green or red within the budget columns. The values for budget and variance are also shown. The line corresponds to the previous year.

Maku12_0-1708937984662.png

I tried to recreate it in Power BI and created the following diagram.

Maku12_1-1708938013458.png

I need it to show the positive and negative variances at the top of the columns like in the Excel chart (green for positive deviation and red for negative). In addition, only the budget values and the variance values should be displayed (the small triangle is not necessary, the deviations can be shown as values).

I have tried to format the columns conditionally via the format area, but have not found a solution to my problem, because the positive and negative deviation is within one measure, furthermore I haven't found any possibilty to shift the axis so that both deviations are on top of the columns. In order to display the necessary values, I have tried to adjust the labels for the entire data.

When I select the labels for the entire data, only the sales budget and the variance to the sales budget are displayed. However, the problem is that the sales budget adds up with the variance if it is positive. However, I would like to see them displayed separately.

How can I format my columns as required and display the most important values?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
qqqqqwwwweeerrr
Super User
Super User

Hi @Maku12 

you can check this video which is similar to your problem statement: https://youtu.be/wDNxTwiPg8k?si=euP-d5vbJ-CujL78

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
Check for more intersing solution here: https://www.youtube.com/@letssolveproblem

Regards

View solution in original post

Hi qqqqqwwwweeerrr,
thanks for solution proposal! Unfortunately the line for Sales of the Previous Year ia not shown, although I have selected it.

Maku12_0-1709040717026.png

Hi @qqqqqwwwweeerrr ,  I seleced the Net Product Sales of 2022 in the filter for line Y-axis, which is a calculated measure that shows the Sales Amount of 2022, but nothing changed in the graph. 
BR 

Maku12_0-1709107783645.png

7 REPLIES 7
qqqqqwwwweeerrr
Super User
Super User

Hi @Maku12 

you can check this video which is similar to your problem statement: https://youtu.be/wDNxTwiPg8k?si=euP-d5vbJ-CujL78

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
Check for more intersing solution here: https://www.youtube.com/@letssolveproblem

Regards

Hi qqqqqwwwweeerrr,
thanks for solution proposal! Unfortunately the line for Sales of the Previous Year ia not shown, although I have selected it.

Maku12_0-1709040717026.png

Hi @Maku12 

Line is something not an issue try to create, and use required files in the line filed

qqqqqwwwweeerrr_0-1709042084446.png

for pervious year i am not sure what eactly the objective is can you please explain? Do you mean in filter if you select 2024 in filter your x-axis should be display month=year for 2023 or soemthing else?

Regards

Hi @qqqqqwwwweeerrr ,  I seleced the Net Product Sales of 2022 in the filter for line Y-axis, which is a calculated measure that shows the Sales Amount of 2022, but nothing changed in the graph. 
BR 

Maku12_0-1709107783645.png

_AAndrade
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I've made a simple example, please check if this is what you're looking for:

_AAndrade_1-1708949612065.png

If this solve your problem I can share with you the pbix file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are welcome.

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @Maku12  did you see my solution? It wasn't what you are looking for?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are welcome.

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @_AAndrade
your solution looks like the graph I'm looking for. Can you please share the pbix file? 
BR

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.