Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Alocin

Column chart shows an extra column

Hi All,

I have created a column chart, which is filtered by a splicer. th table does have links to other tables but all fields are within this one table It is a very simple chart with one (numeric) x-axis field and one y-axis field. This is the graph I get: 

Alocin_0-1711603462177.png

Why are there two columns for the value 1? When I convert this chart to a table to check I get this: 

Alocin_1-1711603540424.png

So the table shows only one column for the 1 value, but a chart of this data adds in an extra column?

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Alocin

I inadvertantly stumbled across a fix. The x-axis was set to be continous instead  of categorical as I needed it. Changing it to categorical fixed the issue. I'm still not sure why continuous didn't work as the field was quite literally just 0's and 1's, but anyway, I fixed the display issue so I'm happy.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Alocin

I inadvertantly stumbled across a fix. The x-axis was set to be continous instead  of categorical as I needed it. Changing it to categorical fixed the issue. I'm still not sure why continuous didn't work as the field was quite literally just 0's and 1's, but anyway, I fixed the display issue so I'm happy.

v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Thank @lbendlin    for your prompt reply.

Hi @Alocin   ,

Based on your description, the chart also does not seem to accurately reflect the data in the table. This discrepancy may be related to the way the data is interpreted or aggregated in the chart. There are several steps you can take to resolve the issue:

1. Verify that the data types for the x-axis and y-axis fields are set correctly. Data type mismatches can sometimes cause unexpected behaviour in the visualisation. For more information on bar charts and data types see:
    Column charts in Power BI paginated report - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
  2. Check the aggregation settings for the chart's y-axis fields. If the chart inadvertently aggregates data points, it may display additional columns. Adjusting the aggregation method (e.g., Sum, Average, Count) may solve the problem.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Microsoft Fabric Community

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired out put and pbix file without privacy information.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

could be a trailing space.

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).

Do not include sensitive information or anything not related to the issue or question.

If you are unsure how to upload data please refer to https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

Want faster answers? https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447...

I checked for leading or trailing spaces - nothing like that. The x-axis field is numeric anyway so no spaces to confuse things.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.