Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

skdh_01
Frequent Visitor

Changing from Excel source to SQL database

Hi there, I have previously set up a dashboard by simply getting all the data from one Excel table. Now as we tried to figure out using the database connector for automated queries we realized that the Excel columns in that one file actually come from multiple databases and tables.

As what I can find from online sources on how to make the switch over with no influence to the existing dashboard and its measures, it involves the change of the database's column names and the table's name to be the same as the preivous Excel version. But it seems to be a single table to single table scenario. As my data columns are from various DB and tables, it seems this does not work in my situation yet I am not 100% sure I am correct understanding the handling. 

Would anyone please give me some advice on the best practice of doing this ?

2 REPLIES 2
miTutorials
Super User
Super User

You can write a SQL query to create a view just like your excel table with same column headers and use advanced editor in power query to shift from Excel to SQL.. Below tutorial might be of help to you.

Change Data Source of already Imported Table from Excel to SQL Server in PowerBI | MiTutorials - You...

Thanks @miTutorials. In your tutorial, the SQL database looks pretty much the same as the Excel, in terms of the number of columns as well as the column names, and your tutorial clearly shows how the changeover is done which I totally understand. 

For my situation, my single Excel table is having columns from various SQL DB and tables. Some of those Excel columns are calculated columns as well. And they have totally different column names.

So is it still possible for me to change the source in similar way ? Or I have no choice but to recreate it from scratch ... ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.