Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

agd50
Helper V
Helper V

Change directquery to import error?

agd50_0-1681965284400.png

Why can't i change this to import? (it's locked)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You're welcome 🙂
Ah - that explains it then.

When you use DirectQuery with Analysis Services or Power BI datasets within a Composite Model (as described here), the tables from the "remote datasets" cannot be switched to Import mode.

The idea of connecting to datasets in this way is that you are connecting to a "model" rather than individual tables, inheriting all features of the remote model, and the tables remain remote and are not imported into the local model.

If you wanted to import a table from an Analysis Services dataset, you would need to instead use the Analysis Services connector and select Import (Get Data > Analysis Services and select Import).

This should work with any Analysis Services dataset, but would only work with Power BI datasets with XMLA endpoints enabled (requiring Premium).

OwenAuger_0-1682041587725.png

However it is generally considered better to connect to the underlying data source than importing from Analysis Services, but there may be specific reasons you need to do it this way.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

I have seen similar errors in the past when querying Analysis Services as a data source.

As I understand it, Analysis Services Tabular has to materialize the result set in memory, which has the possibility of exceeding the memory limit of the database.

To at least diagnose the problem, could you try a query with a smaller result set, for example by applying some filters or constructing some smaller DAX Query?

It is generally preferable to find a way to query the underlying the data source rather than Analysis Services as an intermediate source, but I can understand that there might be good reasons you want to do this.

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

On the face of it that's odd. Normally DirectQuery can be changed to Import but not vice versa.

I couldn't find anything in the documentation to explain this behaviour.

• What is the current DirectQuery source?
  • Could you provide more detail on the data source for this table and other tables in the model?
  • Are all tables currently DirectQuery?
  • Is there anything notable/unusual about the current data model?

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Thanks for the assistance. I connected to a live dataset (live connection type) and then turned it into a directquery and then I am trying to turn this into a Import.

The source: Well unfortunately I don't have much details as I didn't create the data/

I can confirm that all of the tables are directquery.

Data source type: SQL Server Analysis Services

Can't tell anything strange - it's a star scheme with a calendar and measures table

You're welcome 🙂
Ah - that explains it then.

When you use DirectQuery with Analysis Services or Power BI datasets within a Composite Model (as described here), the tables from the "remote datasets" cannot be switched to Import mode.

The idea of connecting to datasets in this way is that you are connecting to a "model" rather than individual tables, inheriting all features of the remote model, and the tables remain remote and are not imported into the local model.

If you wanted to import a table from an Analysis Services dataset, you would need to instead use the Analysis Services connector and select Import (Get Data > Analysis Services and select Import).

This should work with any Analysis Services dataset, but would only work with Power BI datasets with XMLA endpoints enabled (requiring Premium).

OwenAuger_0-1682041587725.png

However it is generally considered better to connect to the underlying data source than importing from Analysis Services, but there may be specific reasons you need to do it this way.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Thanks, I tried it and got this error message. 

agd50_1-1682484237499.png

Any idea what this means?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.